How to build a wire container nest?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all,
just wondering how one can build a wire container nest - tried using wicker baskets and nest boxes for my cb, rfpf, orange breasts, owl finches, st helenas, etc to no avail.

Any comments appreciated,
Thanks!
branchez

This is what I use,you can buy it from Bunnings,the larger the hole size the better and cheaper.
Simply just bend it to whatever shape you want and clip it together then fill it with brush,but not
to tight.
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fraudster

branchez wrote:This is what I use,you can buy it from Bunnings,the larger the hole size the better and cheaper.
Simply just bend it to whatever shape you want and clip it together then fill it with brush,but not
to tight.
Jack
Hi Jack @branchez , do I just simply fill it up with brush? Dont i need to make small subcompartments? Cheers
fraudster

And instead of brush can i use hay
Trigger

2016-07-17 08.21.45.jpg
That's right fraudster. So long as you provide enoight nesting material (grass/feather etc) those species will make their own nest in the brush. This pic is a typical cylinder design made with about 1.2m of dog mesh. I used a hanging basket chain ($2 bunnings) to hang it.

Ive seen people stuff them with all sorts of brush, but never hay. I think the hay would be too dense and not appeal to the bird natural instincts anyway. Best using teatree or something similar. Generally, the smaller the leaf size the better as when the brush browns and withers the smaller leaf varietys tend to retain thier leaves better. Malelueca Irbyana is good stuff if you can get your hands on it. (Not pictured). Do a search on this forum for 'brush' and you will find lots of discussion about different types.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The birds feast on Lebanese cucumber while the rest of us have to settle for the continental variety...says it all really!
MuzzaD

I use similar to Trigger and it works well. I use either wire or plastic. If the holes are not big enough it is easy to cut a few larger. The other type I use is a copy I took off Marcus Pollards "Clifton Aviaries" website. He has an an article on how to build a similar setup without the enclosure. I saw the late John Alers demonstrate the building of these at a FSWA meeting and they are more natural and work well. My latest "John Alers design" has been in a week and the Orange Breasts are already building a nest. I keep the nesting grasses in a hanging basket and the feathers in an old onion bag.
Rob

The problem with hay is it brews up mold/fungus when it gets damp. Not healthy.

Return to “Breeding Finches”