Anyone else's canaries coming into breeding condition?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all,
I live in Melbourne and is still the middle of winter - a bit too early for the cansry breeding season. I know the males come into breedinf condition a little early (and I've noticed this - two of my three males just started to fight the other day when they were getting along well!) But also, my female started to sit on her nest. This female was last years young, so earlier this year she tried to breed but failed to as she couldnt build a nest, and the male didnt feed her (they were both a bit young). Will yhe nesting and feeding problems rectify themselves? I used to breed canaries ages ago, but never encountered these before.
Cheers,
Fraudster
iva

I live in Sydney,
My pair had 5 nests starting very late last season. At the moment fifth set of nestlings are still fed by parents. I removed nests and any building material so hen can rest however she is collecting and green stems to build nest again. By the way they are in the breeding cage as males were fighting. Good luck with yours
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Younger cock whistling like crazy here, older cock and hens not yet doing anything.
LML
LML
elferoz777

my aviary is at the point of causing industrial deafness with canary song.

they seem to be coming an a tad early
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Redwing

I've got one who has sung all through winter. When is everyone going to let them start?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine starting singing and collecting nesting materials over the weekend, when we had a little bit of sun. Today's storms seems to have upset their breeding plans though.

I have the nests in (they're permanent fixtures) so it's ultimately up to the birds to decide when to start. I may interfere if they start nest building too soon, however.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All the boys young and old alike are singing their hearts out now. Maybe this very wet then cold then wet again winter is confusing them too.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Redwing wrote:I've got one who has sung all through winter. When is everyone going to let them start?
Not until the start of September. I find all pairs click into gear at that time & whenever I put them out too early I get more than the odd pair with failed 1st attempts or both birds in the pair not at the same state of readiness to breed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because mine are in with finches they always have access to nests. But the ladies are sensibly ignoring the silly boys.
LML
LML
DonnaJ

With the hen who had trouble building the nest, put the nesting material in for her. I had a hen last year that couldn't build a nest to save her life. She laid her first egging a nest that was nearly bare. I took the nest out carefully placed the egg in safety put her half hearted nest aside so it kept its tiny bit of shape, I put nesting material in the the nest pan and sort of shaped it like a nest, then replaced her nest making skills and the egg. Put the nest back in with the pair and she went straight back to it. I just found she needed a helping hand....

Return to “Breeding Finches”