How many Zebra finch pairs can i....

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Zebra finch

Hey Just got a pair of Zebra fiches and would be looking to get more but only have one large cage. Its about 1.80m high 0.60m deep and 0.60 wide just wondering how many zebra finch pairs could i put in i would like to fit three pairs but please tell me if this is to many.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 pair if breeding as once young leave nest will be overcrowded IMO....plus Zebs can be very bossy when in breeding mode so fighting could erupt between pairs.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Zebra finch

Ok thanks i will just keep the one pair in the cage then just wondering how many chicks do a zebra pair usually have i know this can vary like with my Peachface lovebirds one hen lays seven eggs every time yet the usual amount is four or five.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zebra finch wrote:Ok thanks i will just keep the one pair in the cage then just wondering how many chicks do a zebra pair usually have i know this can vary like with my Peachface lovebirds one hen lays seven eggs every time yet the usual amount is four or five.

4 or 5 is an average clutch for Zebs and they mostly have 3 clutches...so can overrun an aviary pretty quick.. :thumbup: :problem:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Zebra finch

Thanks would you breed them three clutches straight or give them a rest in between or can the hen handle it? I give all my lovebirds a rest and would do it with my fiches as well but are they ok to double clutch or triple?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zebra finch wrote:Thanks would you breed them three clutches straight or give them a rest in between or can the hen handle it? I give all my lovebirds a rest and would do it with my fiches as well but are they ok to double clutch or triple?
As long as hen is not young ..finches normally have 3 clutches...just make sure plenty of calcium and some sunlight through the day.. :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And like your peach face they like protection from cold winds. But in your part of Australia, that is probably not a problem. And Zebs are tougher than most other finches. :thumbup:
LML
LML
matcho

So it is 1.80 high (six foot or so) 60mm deep (2 foot) and 600 wide (about 2 foot). Standing upright? One pair only. It is a vertical flight for most of the cage. Suggest laying on its side so they can fly a bit more normally, not having to make near vertical flights. Nesting at each end so you may squeeze two pairs in, but personally 1 pair would do me. They breed like rabbits. Get ready for the influx.

Good sized breeding cabinet laid longwise.

Just my thoughts on the info you have given.

Ken
Zebra finch

Thanks every one and Ken yes my brother (younger) actually suggested that as well and will do that as it seems just better laying down not sure if i will get a second pair just yet leaving home at the end of this year so the younger brothers will have alot of birds to look after haha.

Return to “Breeding Finches”