Please list ten things for breeding Zebra finches

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Zebra finch

Ok so just got a pair of Zebra finches i was just wondering if all the pro breeder can list 5 to 10 things that i should do/know to help get the best results for instance what foods, nesting material when should i take the chicks from the parents that sort of thing.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zebs will breed on a seed diet alone if given half a chance....but best to supply seeds, as well as soaked seed, greens, green seeding grasses, plus grit and cuttlefish etc...egg and biscuit mix when young in nest... supply nest boxes easier to check if needed...I never removed my young till orange started to show on beaks of young.. :thumbup: others will have different ideas as well.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A good mixed finch seed, clean water daily, fresh picked seeding grasses, weeds roots and all. With the occassional addition of crushed egg shell. Thats what mine get and they are doing OK. They use the left overs from their greens for nesting materials, but I also add 30/40cm lengths of couch grass and the occassional white tissue torn into strips. Depends on breeding intentions if I take the young away when coloured, or not till next change of breeding prioritys. But I do make sure to ring them so I know who is who. And I write it in my exercise/record book. Yep old fashioned paper and pen for me.
LML
LML
matcho

1. Make sure you have a pair.
2. Feed good clean finch seed
3 Fresh water daily.
4.Do not overcrowd (They can get a bit bossy with each other)
5,Make sure you have enough nesting material and sites as in cane nests, brush, nest boxes, but in all reality if you stand still long enough in the aviary they will nest in your pocket.
6. Make sure you have an outlet for your young because they are very prolific breeders and before you know it the aviary will be overrun.
7. Ring your breeding birds so you know who is who. Three months out of the nest they are ready to go.
8. Greens (dandelion/chickweed I have found are not really essential but a treat but grit, cuttlefish are a definite requirement for the calcium intake.
9. Sprouted/soaked seed makes things so much easier in regards to chick survival because of the easier digestibility and added vitamin intake.
10. I cant give you a ten, maybe in time you may give us one . I must say that zebs are the perfect bird to start with and the are the ones that let you hone your skills in aviculture. They are a precursor to better things and species to come, Similar to guppies in aquarium speak.

Anyhow good luck ZB.

I am sure you will do well.

Ken
Zebra finch

Thanks every one i think it should be easy enough i had four Zebras before 2 males and 2 females and even before they had paired up the males started to build the nest. I will certinally tell everyone if and when i make some progress. Also i take it they are like lovebirds with nesting boxes and should be provided with at least two so they can choose which they prefere like what matcho said for number five? Also for nesting material last time with my first four Zebra finches (which i sold before they had mated so that i could buy more peach faces) i used couch grass so they could eat the seeds and use it to nest but i also have some good soft hay (live on a cattle station so plenty where that came from) and have chook feathers from our last roast chooks. Do you think i should also chuck that in as well and either boil the feathers or lice spray them? Thankyou
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chook feathers are excellent. Just a quick zap in the microwave (when mums not looking) will get rid of the bugs. As you have access to chook feathers you can forget the tissues.
LML
LML
Zebra finch

Haha sure will use them then i better not get caught :lol: :lol: :lol:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just be careful not to start a fire by zapping them for too long. Better to do a couple of times for a short time than once for too long and set off the fire alarm and Mum. (PS I am a Mum, and have been through the kids doing crazy things stage)
LML
LML
Zebra finch

Thanks yep had that thought better makes sure that i don't fry them cause i will never get the smell out :lol:
MuzzaD

There are a couple of Zebra Finch clubs in Qld. Worth having a look at there website. South East Qld has a good website.

Return to “Breeding Finches”