Gouldians: when to remove nest boxes?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
D@vo

My birds are first year-outers and are onto their 2nd nest for the season. Noticed that end of Sept was the time quoted to remove nest boxes. However, I'm wondering if I should stop them after 2 nests as they are all young birds ... I live near coffs harbour, so weather is kind.
Thanks for reading
Dave
matcho

Davo,

The thing is this, it all depends when you put them in. Personally I was told the Australia Day weekend but because of some really hot weather I tended to wait until first week of March. Hens had the darker beak, cocks were more than ready to go. It is a matter for yourself. Probably best to remove late August so the last chicks can get into the moult November December. I know some breeders who have to leave boxes in all year because of the mixed aviary thing. They will make the decision when or when not to breed. Only trouble with this is that the latest chicks will not moult into full adult plumage and look a bit chatty but will be able to breed come the new season. I chose this year to not breed, no boxes in, just old brush for the painted and stars. Well, have about 20 to 30 healthy chicks on the perch and heard more this morning. Honestly they breed like zebs when you get them going.

Good luck

Ken
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I leave my boxes in year-round because of the "mixed aviary thing" matcho mentioned. Generally I find that the Gouldians know when to start and stop breeding, so there aren't too many problems.

Occasionally a few late nests will be lost to the winter cold, but it's usually limited to first-year breeders who don't know when it's time to stop.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also leave nests in due to the mixed avairy scene. But if I find a pair being silly and continuing to breed, I just split them up into adjoining avairys.
LML
LML
D@vo

Thank you All,
Appreciate that you took the time to reply. These are gouldian-only aviaries, so will take Ken's advice. Give them plenty of down time.
Cheers

Dave

Return to “Breeding Finches”