last nest Gouldians feeding new nestlings?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
iva

Hi everyone
Confused as I have 2 Gouldians that haven't got their colour yet and they are feeding new babies? Is this common?
Craig52

Yes iva, if they are early bred young and left in the aviary they will breed as uncoloured adults or help to feed any young out of other prs nests. Craig
iva

Thank you Craig, hope they are only helping.
matcho

Don't want to be negative but gee this is an early start if they are the parents or a real late finish if they are only helping, normally this time of year is moulting time. If they are uncoloured then they must be late fledgers, hope they are only helping. The chicks they are feeding and them selves will not colour up until this time next year, but..and a big but those that are feeding will be quite happy to breed next season, coming up from late Feb or so. Ring them so you know who is who in the zoo.

Good luck

Ken.
garyh

This year in an aviary,i had two pairs of normal goulds,bred some young and sold the two cock birds as i had enough normals,on Tuesday this week out came two young,i could not believe my eye's ,no nest boxes but plenty of brush,no sign of a cock bird in the young yet as these birds are just starting to colour up ,but obviously there must be,the young are very good so i think the young cock bird is off the other pair,good luck with your birds Iva,garyh
iva

I saw parents , pair of purple breasted feeding chicks too. These two young gouldians are ringed so I know which ones are they.
There is few more uncoloured birds,but these 2 are special. I do believe they are only helpers.

Return to “Breeding Finches”