Grasses for gouldian nests

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
elferoz777

I ran out of my standard nesting grass. I was using the swamp grass from the hunter.

What other grasses or materials can be used in a gouldian nest box?
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

Any
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:Any
Haha,the finer grass hay is a good one and also contains a few grass seeds. Craig
matcho

You thinking of starting now? Mine are just about finished the moult. Not going to start until at least late Feb. Was told once that the Australia Day weekend was the time to put boxes in. Didn't work for me, too hot too many ants. Last year decided no boxes, no breeding. Still had brush, well would you believe it? Have over 30 beautiful, healthy chicks who are just about to complete their moult. Put it this way, you could throw an old sock in the box and they will nest in it, any grass will do, when you do the lawns, couch runners, any long grass dried will do. They, to me are as easy to breed as zebs. In all honesty though, go for a bit of a walk around the local parks and just grab handfuls of the seeding grasses, they will eat the seed and use the rest for nests.

Good luck.

Ken
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine like couch and rye and the leaves from their seeding grass. But right now they have just gone into a moult and look awful. Best breeding time seems to vary with locations. Mine seldom do anything much in summer/autumn season, but do their best work in late spring. Hence my chicks being under 3 months old.
LML
LML
matcho

finchbreeder wrote:Mine like couch and rye and the leaves from their seeding grass. But right now they have just gone into a moult and look awful. Best breeding time seems to vary with locations. Mine seldom do anything much in summer/autumn season, but do their best work in late spring. Hence my chicks being under 3 months old.
LML
Gee FB,

It must be so different here in Sydney as compared to you. My last chicks came out late winter/early spring. Three are not going to colour but singing like adults. Here in Sydney I find (for me) that early March things start to ramp up and then taper off around later in August.

Interesting.

Good luck

Ken.
Stu

Is that a general question elferoz777, or were you looking to source something bulk/commercial ?
There was for sale Teff grass hay recently down your way, Bargo area I think.
It was mentioned on here by a South African member. I had never heard of it.
Its a cereal crop. The plant has a soft narrow leaf. No idea what it is like as a nesting material not having used it.
I planted some this year in a pot.
I will put up a photo of what it looks like here over the weekend.
Teff Grass internet images
elferoz777

Thanks for that stu

I was asking in general as ive never used anything else other than swamp grass. I litterally didnt know any better.

Matcho mine are molting so ko breeding yet. I dont have enough hens though i olan on getting some from the fsa sale. I usually go for a late dec to mid jan start with the nest boxes.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Stu

This grass at the moment would be 300mm high. Not a lot of seed head.
Its an annual grass with leaf blades similar to couch in width.
teff.jpg
The broader leaf grass left of centre is something else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Breeding Finches”