Cup nesters finally starting

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
elferoz777

After four nests of tossed young ( bloody zebs) thecred siskins havecstarted to build. Love this part as the select a site and start building. I supplied spiders webs, coconut fibre, kapok and hessian.

My oriental greenfinches have also started to build. Im running a trio this year and resting my spare cock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Lukec

Nice
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
E Orix

Even though I live some 500k south of you, my cup shape nesters are months ahead of yours.
Possibly the very wet spring may have contributed far more than I considered. I have pairs of yellow
Siskins feeding chicks in their 2nd nest and a pair of Chaffinches actually incubating on their 3rd nest
They are actually building prior to the chicks fledging.
This is really good for successful nests as it is a race to fledge chicks before mid December when
the really hot days hit which can be a disaster for the European species here.
Actually the wet spring may be the reason we are having a reasonable season across most species.
As usual we all live in hope.
elferoz777

Lucky

We had weeks of cold wind here through spring and low humidity which stuffed our birds around here. Ive gad lots of dead in shell. You'd get two warm days followed by cold so ive let the birds go for this year in some cases. They can have a crack later.

This morning i watched a butcher bird have a go. I put fly screen over my wire and the seems to stop his beak getting into the aviary. Was a nice cheap fix but it still scares the birds.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Red siskin nest. 3 look fertile to me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elferoz777

Oriental greenfinch nest
elferoz777

I wonder why their eggs are clear white but at other times they are light blue and speckled with brown spots.
collector_and_buyer

I was lucky enough to buy a young pair of Yellow Siskins at the Forbes bird sale in August this year.As E.Orix has said,mine too are on their second nest.First had three eggs,1 fertile and one young successfully reared.My hen also had a second nest built before that young was fledged and now has four young in the nest,with the fourth one a little fellow,but doing well.Not sure whether this has any bearing on your birds,but i never go near my nesting birds much,let alone photographing the nests or young.Could be seasonal for you,or maybe a little more privacy for the birds may help.Just my thoughts.Regards.
elferoz777

I try to avoid them but i have to pass them on the once a week clean and top up. I take the chance to snap a foto then unless they dont leave the nest...in that case i sneak around.
Mine are pretty tolerant of my presence but less is certainly best.
collector_and_buyer

Agree,hope they end up doing well for you.

Return to “Breeding Finches”