Yet another sisking breeding question...

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all,

never owned a pair of yellow siskins so sorry about the plethora of questions! I have now removed the canaries and goldfinches out of the aviary (and these birds are doing pretty well in their own cages, building their nests, etc). I think the cock siskin is starting to come into condition - he's singing a lot now! However, my female siskin is a bit funny in the way that it builds a nest using the canary cup nest i provided, half-way done, she builds one on the other side of the aviary... yesterday, I put in a plant into my aviary, the jade plant (aka lucky money) and just this afternoon, i see her building a nest there! she occasionally sits on the other nests she has built. Also, the nests are no where near as intricate and well built as the canaries... So, question is, what should I do - should i just let her be?

Cheers,

Fraudster.
Craig52

Just let her be imo, she will choose the one she likes best and hopefully build it up a bit if not you may have to support it with a small bit of mesh underneath or replace the nest with a canary sieve cup nest. Craig
elferoz777

Wait until you see a complete siskin nest.

Very tight and compact. Them and goldies biuld the best imo.

Your hen might be young and is just picking her spot.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
fraudster

Hi elferoz777

Thanks for reply! just wondering what you use for nesting material. mine seems to like the very soft stuff, mainly feathers and the fibres that come with coconut fibres (fluffy material), and occasionally swamp grass. She picks out the nesting material from finch basket nests instead of from the group lol!
fraudster

@elferoz777
elferoz777

I find mine use hessian and coconut fibre to make the nest but it gets lined and bound with kapok or cotton wool.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Breeding Finches”