Green singers "obsessed" with yellow siskin chicks?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all,

wondering if you guys have experienced anything similar to this - I currently have 3 yellow siskins in the nest (about 10 days old, and are doing really well). However, when the mother siskin goes for food, the green singers approach the nest and start feeding the yellow siskin chicks! The green singers are always nearby the nest, though the mother and father siskin usually don't care. Has any one else experienced this? It's strange because i would've thought the chicks would have recognised their mother by now and not beg for food from strangers lol.

Cheers, and have a happy new year,

Fraudster.
george gaoutsos

pull out the green singers from the avery because the yellow siskens will stop feeding their babies.And never have yellow sisken with green singer in same avery,as they fight.
Zippythedoublebar

george gaoutsos wrote:pull out the green singers from the avery because the yellow siskens will stop feeding their babies.And never have yellow sisken with green singer in same avery,as they fight.

Thank you for your comment
50 Zebras 6 different mutations 1 pair of Cordon Bleus 1 pair of Gouldians 30 King and Button Quail 6 pairs of Society Finches a pair of double bar finches a pair of Red browed Finches a pair of diamond doves and 2 pairs of red faced parrot Finches.
Hoping to get turquoise parrots tri coloured parrot Finches diamond firetails and more Zeb mutations
fraudster

I experimented and left them all in the same aviary, good news - all were successfully raised by both species and are extremely healthy!
fraudster

Zippythedoublebar wrote:
george gaoutsos wrote:pull out the green singers from the avery because the yellow siskens will stop feeding their babies.And never have yellow sisken with green singer in same avery,as they fight.

I experimented and left them all in the same aviary, good news - all were successfully raised by both species and are extremely healthy!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some things depend on the personality of the individual birds. Sounds like you are one very lucky birdo, and have 2 pair of top birds. Congratulations.
LML
LML
fraudster

finchbreeder wrote:Some things depend on the personality of the individual birds. Sounds like you are one very lucky birdo, and have 2 pair of top birds. Congratulations.
LML
I sure am lucky! Father siskin isn't that great in my opinion, always feeds only the mum so that she can feed the kids... not sure if all siskins do that or just my pair is weird! But the siskins have another nest now (4 chicks just hatched yesterday and today), but don't think they would've nested so soon and it would've been successful if it were not for the green singers feeding their offspring so thay they could nest again straight away!!

Return to “Breeding Finches”