Anyone successful breed rfpf without live food?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Anyone have success breeding rfpf without livefood? Hearing mixed reviews, but I know a bloke who breeds his heavy pied rfpf without livefood at all - just a diet comprising of finch mix, sprouted seed mix, homemade egg food and all your other standard things
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dont know about the pieds..but I breed rfpf all the time without livefood. ..lots of sprouted seed and green seed plus std fair. ..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
fraudster

vettepilot_6 wrote:Dont know about the pieds..but I breed rfpf all the time without livefood. ..lots of sprouted seed and green seed plus std fair. ..
Thanks for giving me some hope, lol!
MuzzaD

I am beginning to believe that what goes in the aviary is secondary to the consistency of it being fed.
If you feed live food it has to be daily etc, same with seeding grasses and soaked seed. Or at least in a regular pattern.
Only an observation not proven.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Muzz from observation, consistent from first sign of eggs till fully fledged is the go. :thumbup:
LML
LML
toothlessjaws

I recently had lost my whole fly colony to to hot day and had to reboot. as maggot rations were skimp i supplied lots of greens and extras for the birds. nonetheless my RFPF pair tossed their chick.
Nova

My 3 pairs of RFPF have only been getting dry seed with green seed once to twice a week over the last 3 months. All have produced offspring with 3-4 fledglings each.
They are in a large (2m x 6m) planted aviary so they can get naturally occurring live food.
Zippythedoublebar

fraudster wrote:Anyone have success breeding rfpf without livefood? Hearing mixed reviews, but I know a bloke who breeds his heavy pied rfpf without livefood at all - just a diet comprising of finch mix, sprouted seed mix, homemade egg food and all your other standard things

The first pair I bred I only gave em finch mix nothing else they hatched out 3 now they are great looking adults
50 Zebras 6 different mutations 1 pair of Cordon Bleus 1 pair of Gouldians 30 King and Button Quail 6 pairs of Society Finches a pair of double bar finches a pair of Red browed Finches a pair of diamond doves and 2 pairs of red faced parrot Finches.
Hoping to get turquoise parrots tri coloured parrot Finches diamond firetails and more Zeb mutations

Return to “Breeding Finches”