Bottlebrush trees

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
davlee

I have a lot of them around me. Will finches nest in bottlebrush foliage? Dave
Greg41

That is all I use for all my Finches.

Cheers
GDG
Rob

Me too -the red ones are safe but there's a white looking one that's meant to be poisonous.
Tiaris

All finch species which nest in brush.
Craig52

Rob wrote:Me too -the red ones are safe but there's a white looking one that's meant to be poisonous.
I don't know about that Rob, if it's a callisterman ?they should be all safe to use. I did try these one year but they lost their leaves very quickly and ended up with sticks.
The cream of brush is coastal tea tree imo. Craig
Jenk

Hi All,

Can someone post a picture of coastal tea tree please... I have no idea what it looks like

thanks in advance
Jenk
gomer

Leptospermum-continentale.jpg
I have always used prickly tea tree Leptospermum continentale I dont think its Leptospermum scoparium as I have never seen red flowers on them. It lasts a very long time I seem to normally get it when it has the buds on it sometimes it has a few flowers.Both tea trees are where some of our native finches live being red eared and beautiful firetails. Also Manuka honey comes from the flower of one of the tea tree family so Im not sure how poisonous the flower is ??? More information needed on this ??? from the tea tree Leptospermum scoparium. It was also used to make a cuppa tea no doubt minus the flower.

P.s wear long pants and a jumper to collect it has the name prickly tea tree for a good reason. :thumbup:
Leptospermum continentale Stipituris CP plant habit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Jenk

Thanks for the pics looks like lemon scented tea tree (leptospermum petersonii) except for the buds and prickles... which I would think would be OK to use?? has anyone used this variety??
Jenk
escapin

Personally I think some people make things a bit too technical.

I cut down any bushy looking native tree that I can stuff into a wire cyclinder. If the birds like it they nest in it. I've used pine trees, some kind of tea tree and a few prickly little bushes that I have no idea what they are. Birds nest in them all so far.

I think a selection of different grasses for the birds to build the nest with is more important. Green grass stems, coconut fibre, novemeber grass, bits of paper bark and other handfuls of mulchy looking stuff all get put in my aviary and different species use all of them.

Return to “Breeding Finches”