Gouldians built beautiful ground nest under bird bath! (photo)

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Finchy

A pair of my Gouldians built a spectacular nest under their bird bath. Yup. I was amazed to see a Gouldian build a nest at all, never mind such a gorgeous one. And on the ground?! Within 1" of continually dripping water? With a drainage area directly under them?

I expected the hatchlings to die from the damp, but yesterday three full-bodied little bubs fledged and look great - better than my wicker nest babies. Also I clean out that bath every 48 hours (scrub, lift and empty, rinse, lift and empty again, refill) which has been a huge disturbance, but they were fine with it.

See below what their mum and dad built for them...

(To get a better view of the bath, this video shows it before they got in: https://youtu.be/wnfYDVzySR4 )

Crazy, no?! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I dont help mine with nesting
.leave it up to them. .They build a nest similar to parrot finch just without feathers. .
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

vettepilot_6 wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 15:50 I dont help mine with nesting
.leave it up to them. .They build a nest similar to parrot finch just without feathers. .
I would say they took over a parrot finch nest if you have them in there with them, gouldians don't use feathers to build their nests but well done.
It also brings to mind of a mouse nest but can't be if you fledged young from it. Craig.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No they definitely built them..all 3prs built nests almost identical. .. November grass packed solid..then small bits around 50mm long 4 to 5 bits at a time to line them...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Dave i think we have got our wires crossed, i was talking about the nest under the water dish not your gouldians. I know gouldians will build their own nests from scratch or with a bit of help. I only quoted what you said regarding gouldians don't use feathers. Sorry :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had Orange breasteds and Zebs build on the ground, but not Gouldians. Just goes to show, what suits them is not always what we expect.
LML
LML
Maurizio

That is extraordinary, I have never know Gouldians to build a nest on the ground.
I’ve had them build their own nests in needle bush or clumps of grass before.
It goes against all their natural instincts.
Did they have access to nest boxes or wicker baskets?
Finchy

Yes, I always supply about 20% more nesting options than required, of different types.

One of the babies born in that under-bath ground nest last year, now an adult, has built an even more spectacular nest this year in the exact same location and fledged 5 babies from it.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finchy your Gouldians are individuals. :thumbup: As long as it's working all is good.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”