Gouldians breaking colour early ?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Norse

Anyone know why some goulds break colour early, pic is of a young which left nest only 2 mnths ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think at least half the birds in Australia are completely confused by the weird weather the country seems to have been having. I have a cock canary who is in full singing mode, 6 months out of time. :problem:
LML
LML
alvin

They start to show a bit of colour at about that age, then stop moulting and complete moult around November, December. Over the years I have had Gouldian's born in February and others in August, but all go through the moulting period which is towards end of the year. all fully moulted by the first week in January. I have had 2 or 3 Gouldian's born early in the season fully moult within 3 months of leaving the nest, but moult again a few months later in November and December.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Odd feathers plucked by siblings or parents. .grow back coloured :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Maurizio

Young Gouldians go through a mini moult at about 3 months of age, then stop until their annual moult time. This is usually between October to December. Depending on how late in the season the young were born, they might not finish the their first moult. They stay in this condition until the next annual moult. I’ve had some birds like this, in the past.
It’s nothing to worry about, as by the end of their second moult they will colour up beautifully.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a couple of gouldians that have only been out of the nest a few weeks already showing flecks of colour in the face and chest. This 35+ degree weather in April must be really messing up their moult cycle.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My mother has a young Gouldian which is also only about a month old and its chest is so purple anyone can tell it's a cock already.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”