Chicken eggs

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Ajw132

How long do you bake chicken eggs and what temperature ? Or can you microwave them ? For gouldians do other finches require eggs for calcium ?
Craig52

Ajw132 wrote: 02 May 2017, 14:55 How long do you bake chicken eggs and what temperature ? Or can you microwave them ? For gouldians do other finches require eggs for calcium ?
Depending on how many, for 4 egg shells microwave for 2 minutes on high. The general idea is to kill all bacteria and dry the egg shell so it becomes brittle. Craig
E Orix

I hope you are referring to baked egg shells not whole eggs.
Whole eggs explode in a microwave oven
If you are talking about whole eggs just boil them for I guess around 10min.
If you are talking about baked egg shells 180C approx. for about 10min in the oven
Ajw132

Thanks yes just egg shells one breeder said he kept quails and just threw the whole quail eggs on the floor and let his birds eat the whole thing yolk white and shell is this ok ? not sure if this is ok I'll just put baked or microwaved egg shells in the aviary
Tiaris

Throwing quail eggs on the floor sounds very unhygienic to me. If you want to feed egg shells just zap them for 2 mins or if you want to feed whole egg hard-boil them first then remove any uneaten boiled egg within 24hrs.
arthur

Nothing on the floor . . is a pretty good rule

In coastal areas anything organic on the floor starts to 'grow whiskers' very rapidly . . even non-food items like nesting grass . . very unhealthy

Have a look at the pix of the aviaries on the forum and you will realise that those which are are obviously top class, successful, and owned by experienced breeders, have all the requirements above ground, in containers . . hygienic and easily replaced

The parrot breeders with their 'suspendeds' have proved that 'floors' are not even a necessity . .
matcho

AJW,
For what it's worth I source my eggshells from a local cafe where a mate works,- fresh shells. He saves them for me for one day, a shopping bag full, I split them up and microwave each batch for 5 mins, give them a bit of a crush and box them up in chinese containers, get about 5 or so. They work a treat and the birds love them. Not a bad return for a schooner of VB!

Ken.
CathyCraftz

I don't bake my egg shells I just leave them to dry in the sun then put them in a ziploc bag and crush into fine pieces for my finches. Same process but it takes longer.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CathyCraftz wrote: 27 May 2018, 15:51 I don't bake my egg shells I just leave them to dry in the sun then put them in a ziploc bag and crush into fine pieces for my finches. Same process but it takes longer.
Ahhh no its not...good chance of poisoning 😢
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Breeding Finches”