bird diversity

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
shnapper20

recently I visited an aviary it was broken up into 4 to 5 cells approx 1.5-2 wide 3 deep and 2.4 high these cells were interconnected by doors which were left open, each cell had ample breeding sites separate food stations and were packed with finches, there were parsons, masks, gouldians, singers, arouras, melbas, double bars, plum heads, rudies, diamond firetails, orange breast there were others buy I cant remember. So many of these birds were deemed uncompatable in most literature I had read yet here they were, healthy, happy and breeding successfully. One thing I did note he had lots cylindrical wire nests .5-.7dia 1-1.5 long packed with tea tree, the tea tree branches protruded from the cylinder forming entry perches. It was truely a beautiful aviary which formed part of his outdoor living area. I asked him about fighting, crossbreeding, breeding results and all were good.
just goes to show what can be achieved.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Curious. Did these birds start out in these avairys seperated by closed doors? Then once they were used to each other being near by but not a problem, did he open the doors? The man could be using a very smart form of desensitisation.
LML
LML
shnapper20

couldnt say ?

Return to “Breeding Finches”