Cordon Bues

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Tone

Hello All,

Semi new to this forum. I was a relatively active member several years ago and stopped, stopped with Finches and birds in general. At the time had Gouldians and sold a few clutches to friends etc. ( Paid for the seed etc )
I stopped due to other commitments and dwindled my flock naturally.

I now have an aviary of two pairs of Gouldians, a male ruddie and two pairs of Star finches.
In that aviary I have two female Cordons. I have had them for 8 or so months. At the time Couldnt get hold of any males so grabbed the two females.
I have since tried to 'pair up' the females on two occasions. Three months ago, and both males died within two days. This week i managed to obtain two males ( different source ) and the same thing has happened. One passed away over night, and the second male I found dead this morning.

Any ideas for why this is happening. I am at a loss, and especially love the cordon variety. Both females continually build nests and sit on eggs ( obviously not fertile ) I think its a shame they dedicate their lives to this and produce nothing.

Cheers,
Craig52

Tone wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 16:35 Hello All,

Semi new to this forum. I was a relatively active member several years ago and stopped, stopped with Finches and birds in general. At the time had Gouldians and sold a few clutches to friends etc. ( Paid for the seed etc )
I stopped due to other commitments and dwindled my flock naturally.

I now have an aviary of two pairs of Gouldians, a male ruddie and two pairs of Star finches.
In that aviary I have two female Cordons. I have had them for 8 or so months. At the time Couldnt get hold of any males so grabbed the two females.
I have since tried to 'pair up' the females on two occasions. Three months ago, and both males died within two days. This week i managed to obtain two males ( different source ) and the same thing has happened. One passed away over night, and the second male I found dead this morning.

Any ideas for why this is happening. I am at a loss, and especially love the cordon variety. Both females continually build nests and sit on eggs ( obviously not fertile ) I think its a shame they dedicate their lives to this and produce nothing.

Cheers,
First of all Welcome back Tone. Could be a few reasons, one the two hens have paired and don't want males so they get bashed. Two, two prs of cordons in the one aviary pending on what size doesn't work and both cocks and hens will fight with casualties. Three, did you buy the cocks and put them straight into the aviary and what time of day was it.
I'm thinking number one. Craig
STUART WHITING

Hi Tone welcome to the Aussie finch forum :wave:

I'm inclined to agree here with Craig and would say it's most probably where the two hens have actually paired together and any new comers to the avairy even though they are cocks they simply don't want no interest and become very territorial and will cause destruction by causing damage or worst case kill the cocks,

Generally speaking any more than one pair of bonded cock and hen pairs are also a no go in a std avairy set up because again they'll fight to the death if left, however in your case I doubt that this is the case because the newly introduced cock birds will simply not of had enough time to form a pair bond within the space of 24 hrs,

I rekon the two hens are to be the culprits, seems to much of a coincidence to lose 4 cock birds In the space of no time as soon as they are introduced to yer avairy,

During the non breeding season I'd leave just one of the hens in the avairy and then try introducing another cock bird to the one hen, their should be no territorial issues now because it'll be the non breeding season when there introduced, it should then give em time for a few months to pair bond and then hopefully be ok together for when the breeding season then approaches :thumbup:

Just a thought,

Be lucky
Tiaris

Try them as single pairs per aviary.
Tone

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, it's much appreciated.

Craig, I think that you are right with the strong possibility that the two female Cordons have paired up, being in the same aviary for the last 8 months together, conditioned themselves to nest building and probably taking it in turns of nest sitting.

I did put them straight in to the aviary early afternoon. I know this is usually a no no as they need a good solid day to acclimatise to their new surroundings. Also, 24 hours in a holding quarantine cage is probably also beneficial.

Stuart, also a great idea about separating the two females. I have another aviary with a single pair of red face parrot finches, so i think i may divide the two female Cordons and see how i go with that. Thanks.

Thank you Tiaris, I will try this method and hopefully this will change the outcome.

Thank you everyone for your time and advice, all the best with yours. Regards
STUART WHITING

Tone wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 07:35 Thank you everyone for your thoughts, it's much appreciated.

Craig, I think that you are right with the strong possibility that the two female Cordons have paired up, being in the same aviary for the last 8 months together, conditioned themselves to nest building and probably taking it in turns of nest sitting.

I did put them straight in to the aviary early afternoon. I know this is usually a no no as they need a good solid day to acclimatise to their new surroundings. Also, 24 hours in a holding quarantine cage is probably also beneficial.

Stuart, also a great idea about separating the two females. I have another aviary with a single pair of red face parrot finches, so i think i may divide the two female Cordons and see how i go with that. Thanks.

Thank you Tiaris, I will try this method and hopefully this will change the outcome.

Thank you everyone for your time and advice, all the best with yours. Regards
Yer most welcome Tone :thumbup:

Be lucky
Jason300

I had the same issue but was loosing hens , I have since put them in seperate cages and it solved my problem
STUART WHITING

Jason300 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 20:55 I had the same issue but was loosing hens , I have since put them in seperate cages and it solved my problem
:thumbup:

Return to “Breeding Finches”