Red headed Parrot Finch question

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
SAFinch

Hi, so I was hoping to get answers to two questions - and apologies if this has already been addressed in the past (happy to be redirected).

The context is that I have a pair of RH parrot finches that are currently have five chicks and are, by my calculations, around 16 days old. The first thing is that it only seems to be the cock who feeds them - I have never seen then hen feeding the chicks. Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior?

Then, clearly not quite satisfied with taking (apparent) sole responsibility for his brood - the cock bird is now embarking on a second project of padding out a new nest box. Given the first lot haven't fledged, should I remove the nest box? Assuming the answer to this is yes, but wanted to check. Bit worried of the pair getting distracted on a new clutch and neglecting the older lot.

Thanks.
Tiaris

No. Leave them go if they're keen. Many times good pairs will renest for the following brood whilst still feeding the previous one. If they have a few rounds this way it may then be a good idea to give them a break but 2 consecutive rounds should be fine.
deegs

No need to worry there SAFinch, you have a good breeding pair and the cock will often make the next nest before the first lot have become independent. Let them go and enjoy all the young.
Cheers.

Return to “Breeding Finches”