Hollow log as a nest

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
davlee

I have a hollow log that measures - length 30cm, diameter 15cm and the hollow is all the way through with 11cm diameter.

If I close one end completely, can I leave the other end open? I am thinking to use it for Gouldians.

Dave
Tiaris

That's what the wild ones use.
arthur

A wise man once told me that the only reason birds use hollow logs in the bush is that there are no boxes

Hollows look good and add a bit of atmosphere

But . .

They are heavy (although yours would be OK) . . , hard to hang, hard to clean out, provide places for mites to take cover, and narrow ones are hard to access if there are problems with chicks

Small (and not so small) carpet snakes are also fond of them . . but of course that is not a problem for forum members who have taken on board all the warnings and snake-proofed and rodent-proofed their aviaries

Purely a personal choice . .
Last edited by arthur on 28 Feb 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
matcho

Pretty simple really, 2 small hinges and a small catch lock. Cut access to make a flip top lid, same as you see with the massive logs sold at sales for parrots.
starman

Dave,
When I was new to finch keeping, I was given a hollow branch by a firewood carter who told me that finches loved logs for nesting. I assumed that he meant ALL finches . I cut the branch into about six pieces, but only used three, as the rest were too narrow. These were cut on a slight diagonal and screwed to a plywood backing board with a slight downward slope towards the board. Each nest weighed nearly as much as a house brick. I had NO Gouldians, but (in my ignorance) expected that some of my varied flock would appreciate my hard work and be eager to set up house immediately,..... but the birds didn't follow the plan. In the two or three years I had the log nests in the aviary, not one pair used them for breeding or roosting..... but they did use nesting boxes placed on the same wall. You may have more luck with your Gouldians appreciating them, but don't be surprised if they prefer nesting boxes.
I eventually sold mine at a garage sale for a very modest sum.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have used small hollow logs like that, with limited success. Still have some, so you have inspired me to try again.
LML
LML
Tiaris

My first ever breeding of a finch was in a hollow log 42 years ago. A clutch of 3 Ruddies. I later swapped that log for a budgie cage.
starman

I find it interesting that the STGF use a hybrid type box for their "in the wild" breeding program. The boxes consist of a short length of natural hollow log with a conventional cube-style nesting box fixed to one end. The birds, apparently, nest in the boxes rather than the hollows making nest inspection easier. This fairly hefty arrangement is a bit too large for small aviaries, but could be worth a try for those with ample room.
Sm.
starman

Tiaris wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 06:21 My first ever breeding of a finch was in a hollow log 42 years ago. A clutch of 3 Ruddies. I later swapped that log for a budgie cage.
That was a true bargain... well, at least when compared to my outcome... :thumbup:
Sm.

Return to “Breeding Finches”