possible hybid

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
shnapper20

hi ive got diamonds and painteds in the one aviary, several young diamonds on the perch being fed by a diamond and a painted. the young look like normal diamonds. I've had gouldians who feed everyones babies is it possible this is the case with the painted?
starman

John,
I've never seen a diamond x painted documented or referenced. That is not to say that it is impossible, just highly unlikely.... probably more of a
case that the painted is just helping out.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
shnapper20

thanks starman I hope so too. At any rate illl keep an eye on the young and move the painteds in with my gouldians. Ive been watching them all arvo the diamond is a hen and the painted is a cock. No other diamond has been near them. If they turn out to be hybrids I guess ill have to euthanize them. There is an even number of hens and cocks in the aviary so its surprising if it is the case.
arthur

Immelmann in his 'Australian Finches' cites no records of such a hybrid; and no reference is found in the 'Handbook of Hybrids'. . which of course doesn't mean that none has occurred (or that yours is not the first) . . and they are both firetails after all

But my guess is 'no'

The thing that I can't work out is the 'drive a wooden stake through their hearts' attitude towards hybrids

Possibly people somehow feel that it is a reflection on their husbandry, or status as a responsible custodian

These things happen; and sometimes as a result of chance matings between extremely unlikely partners

Deliberate hybridisation of course is a completely different situation

A long time ago, I found a hybrid in my large aviary which had been produced by two of the following: Saint Helena, Cordon Blue, Crimson . . I was never quite sure as I could see characteristics of all three; and because it was a large enclosure, didn't even know it was there in time to see which birds fed it

It was given to a lady who collected hybrids. She had quite a few, but made no attempt to breed them

I find hybrids a very interesting subject . . and until I got my new computer :hothead: had a pretty large collection of pix that I had 'pinched' from the internet . . I cannot recall a Diamond x Painted though
shnapper20

after doing a search or 2. GregH posted this link http://books.google.com.au/books?id=MwI ... ra&f=false if im reading it right there was a cross between a painted cock and diamond hen in 1889.
shnapper20

point taken arthur, if they are hybrids Ill seperate the parents. Not yet as they are still weening them, and go looking for a collector who doesnt breed them. :crazy:
arthur

shnapper20 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 15:57 if im reading it right there was a cross between a painted cock and diamond hen in 1889.
Before my time . .

But Craig might remember it :silent:
shnapper20

:lol: :lol: :lol:
starman

shnapper20 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 15:57 if im reading it right there was a cross between a painted cock and diamond hen in 1889.
I'm basically lazy, John...... you didn't note a page number by any chance?
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
arthur

I couldn't find it by typing "emblema pictum" into the search bit . . but didn't persevere . .

You know . . we all should get out a bit more :shock:

Without going back to check, p.277 rings a bell . . (went back and checked)
Last edited by arthur on 01 Mar 2018, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Breeding Finches”