Star Finches - When is their Breeding Season?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
mickenglish

Yes, they are avid nest guardians, even chasing off my "bully boy" white-chested black face Gouldian. I think mine are on eggs again but they are secretive little critters so it's hard to be certain.
Rod_L

Norto wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 07:31 I have a pair of stars on 4 eggs at the moment. They are housed with Gouldians, Long tails, orange breasts and a pair of Bourkes.
Keep an eye on the shaft-tails because they will bully gouldians and can limit or stop them from breeding. It's probably not as much of an issue with domesticated birds in a big aviary with plenty of nest sites, but wild shaft-tails will kick gouldians out of their nest and take it over. It's one of the reasons wild gouldians were having population crashes. The other reason was lack of food at the end of the dry season causing the birds to starve to death :(
death to all cats & ants
Norto

Rod_L wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 13:29
Norto wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 07:31 I have a pair of stars on 4 eggs at the moment. They are housed with Gouldians, Long tails, orange breasts and a pair of Bourkes.
Keep an eye on the shaft-tails because they will bully gouldians and can limit or stop them from breeding. It's probably not as much of an issue with domesticated birds in a big aviary with plenty of nest sites, but wild shaft-tails will kick gouldians out of their nest and take it over. It's one of the reasons wild gouldians were having population crashes. The other reason was lack of food at the end of the dry season causing the birds to starve to death :(
Thanks Rod,
Will keep an eye on them, I have just had a gouldian get off some infertile eggs and she seemed to be doing the bullying, was chasing everything at one stage. The longtails and the gouldians seemed to get on well at the moment though.
Norto.

Return to “Breeding Finches”