Painted Finch nesting in branches.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Tiaris

Yep. Any "rubble" for the base - above stuff + small pieces of bark, cuttlebone, stones, sticks, etc for the platform. Then grass heads, dry grasses for the nest chamber. Building their own nest in brush, etc. like this encourages their distinctive nesting habits which are one this species' unique features. Receptacles inhibit this nesting behaviour.
Halfinch

Thanks Tiaris
Yes, I'm amazed at some of the stuff they are picking up. The floor is pavers covered with shell grit & they are even picking up small shells from that. They certainly have an instinctive way about them
In future I might buy a potted Tea Tree or something & let them nest in that.
Halfinch
Tiaris

A dense bunch of branches stuffed into a short length of 90mm PVC pipe makes perfect nest sites.
Halfinch

This is what I have at the moment. Now I know the Painteds will nest not just roost or pick at them, I'll jam more in to make it compact
Halfinch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

That's fine
CathyCraftz

Painted finches are crazy about building about their nests, they will pick up just about anything. Make sure to only give them organic materials, nothing poisonous or oozes sap. Best to jam the materials in when they are not anywhere near the nest to prevent them from abandoning it.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CathyCraftz wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 19:56 Best to jam the materials in when they are not anywhere near the nest to prevent them from abandoning it.
Really?? How long have you been breeding Painteds for? ....I never go near any of my breeding birds...less stressful for them imo..😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CathyCraftz wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 19:56 Best to jam the materials in when they are not anywhere near the nest to prevent them from abandoning it.
This is not good advice.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ShaneGowland wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 12:36
This is not good advice.
Agree although Cathy has good intentions. .imo Cathy you need to breed a lot more different species before rattling off misinformed advice 😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Breeding Finches”