Painted Finch nesting in branches.

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Halfinch

I have a small aviary 2.7m x 1.5m x 1.8m with a pair of Gouldians and a pair of Mannikins both with eggs in nest boxes. A pair of Painted Finches in the same aviary has ignored a nest box and an open basket and laid 2 eggs in one of 2 sets of branches I put in plastic pipes and change weekly.

Should I just leave them to continue and hope for the best or put another covered nest basket and hope they try again in that? As stated I normally put fresh branches in every week so I'm not sure if their nest will be supported once that set of branches starts to die off.

Any suggestions welcomed
Halfinch
Tiaris

Leave them. Nearly all Painteds I have bred (many hundreds) were bred in nests built in brush or grasses.
Halfinch

Thanks Tiaris :thumbup:
Much appreciated. I might even try to tie the branch together to avoid the nest falling out.
Halfinch
CathyCraftz

Like Tiaris said, just leave them. They nest where they want to nest.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Halfinch

Thanks Cathy
I'll let them do just that. If it all works out I'll post some photographs.
Halfinch
matcho

Make sure they have plenty of nesting material because some I have had build terrible nests, especially if they haven't had small twigs or very coarse grass to build their base. I wouldn't tie the branches up, they might abandon if they feel there is too much interference. A bit of live food won't go astray and do be aware that some of the chicks come out half feathered but usually do okay after a few days on the deck as long as they have somewhere to huddle out of the weather. Good luck, they are little gems and full of personality.

Ken
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of green seeding grass now would be a good idea, if you are not already doing so for the others. My Painteds etc. have always liked to eat the seeds then use the stalks for nesting material. Never had a Painted use a nest box, but they have used woven nests my daughter made. Put a pile of grass in the corner as soon as the young fledge so they can sit on it at night. Good luck.
LML
LML
Halfinch

Thanks everybody, I'm getting heaps of useful information. I noticed they are playing around with small bits of pine bark so I've crumbled some up & put it beside where I provide the swamp grass & feathers. They really are going through a lot of material, I've also added some thin twigs for them to use.
Thanks again
Halfinch
matcho

They love crushed up charcoal to use in the nest as well!
arthur

. . . and broken up bits of white-ant nests

Return to “Breeding Finches”