Artificial Christmas Tree branches

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
davlee

Has anyone tried them as nesting material. I am thinking of placing them in a wire cylinder (30cm diameter) hanging upright.
It would save replacement of bottle brush branches once they are dead and unsightly.

Dave
matcho

There has been a few mentions in various posts regarding this Davlee and from memory most have been positive. The added extra is that when they have been used they can be washed/cleaned and put back. Win win. Have been toying with this idea myself. Perhaps someone who has used these and other artificial shrubbery etc can give us some pointers. Would make an interesting read. Pretty sure though the tinsel ones would be a no no.
mr skeeter

very good for red siskins to breed in, cheers
Greg41

Also Strawberry Finches, I bought mine from the local recycle centre

Cheers
GDG
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep cordons strawberries paints and others use them in my aviary...2 x 5ft trees were 6/7ft ones but I shortened them and used extra branches in wire rolls on walls...just pulled them all out removed old nest material hosed down and put them back in...bought both at red cross $11 one $7 the other $4 because of no base...buy the realistic looking ones 😊
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

In the book, Breeding American Songbirds, this type of artificial vegetation is used for breeding Cardinals, Buntings, Siskins, etc. in Europe. Thoughtfully constructed & placed nest sites using these should be fine for all non-nest box finch species.
arthur

Seen them used successfully in a number of publications

Would be very useful for those poor souls who live in metro areas and can't access brush

We continually see how adaptable our feathered charges are

cat nest box.jpg

I imagine Gouldians would love this :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthur

artificial xmas tree.jpg

Bit early for Xmas cards . . but just received this note from an elderly maiden aunt . .

If the young man doesn't return, I will remove it for her and enquiries welcomed from anybody who could use it for their brush requirements
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyh

love it Arthur,had a really good belly laugh,cheers garyh
Tiaris

The bloke next door to me grows pine Christmas trees & struggles to make a decent return from the venture. Maybe he should consider some non conifer species such as your's Arthur for a better bottom line.

Return to “Breeding Finches”