Trouble with breeding Star Finches

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Boma

Over the past couple of years I've had 3 different young pairs of Red faced Star Finches - non of which have bred. They are fed all the usual things including live food, are in a large outdoor aviary by themselves with tea tree branches and are given plenty of nesting material. There appears to be no reason for them not to breed. My blue faced parrot finches and gouldians in the adjoining aviaries have bred in good numbers. Just wondering if other breeders on this forum have had trouble breeding Star Finches from time to time and if so what did they do about it to get them breeding.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Couch grass runners...feathers..lots of green seeding grasses...sprouted seeds ..greens etc..stars don't need livefood to breed..shrubbery to nest and no peeking..😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Boma

Thanks vettepiolt - yes I do all that and more. There is no reason for them not to breed. Plus the birds have come from reputable breeders - some of whom use live food. This one has got me stumped - hence my question about what other breeders do. Might need to move on from Stars (which I thought were easy to breed) and get some other type of grass finch.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How old are they? Mine start around September to about May....so if compatible they should be getting ready to go...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Boma, are you able to up load pics of them. Just want know if you have opposite sexes, make sure at least one of the prs face mask continues under the beak as hens usually have very little if any mask colour under the beak. Craig
Boma

The latest pair hatched in 2017 and I have had them for a year, so they would be 18 months to 2 years old. They are definitely pairs. After reading members advice and getting advice from other sources, I think I will put it down to either incompatibility or housing. In saying that, it's a bit unusual for three successive pairs to be incompatible. So it might be a housing issue. However, I think the housing is pretty good as Crimson Finches where making plenty nests and laying lots of eggs (although none ever hatched) in the same large aviary, but then again the Stars may be a bit more finicky. Regardless, I think I may try another tack and get another pair or two and try a colony system - perhaps that will stimulate at least one pair to breed.
shnapper20

i run 3 pr and they breed like mice
Storz

Long whatchamacallits and short thingamabobs

Every year I have one species decide not to breed or very little only to have them bounce back better the next year. If you observe them in the wild it is very similar. Last year the wild red brows produced very little, this year they have quadrupled their original numbers
Harry the Horse

Its not a question of getting them started--how do you get them to stop??
arthur

You'll get your turn, young Harry :silent:

Return to “Breeding Finches”