Gouldian Hen Not Laying

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Steevee

Hi All,

I have previously bred from a white breasted Gouldian male and a lilac breasted hen. All of their offspring were purple breasted males and lilac breasted hens.
Sadly, the hen died leaving the white breasted male without a mate.
I bought a white breasted hen (age unknown) so that I could get some more white breasted Gouldians.
I placed the two white breasted birds in a seperate aviary about 3 months ago and they bonded very quickly. About 2 weeks ago I put in a nesting box and the male has built a beautiful nest.
In my main aviary, I put nesting boxes in at the same time and the purple/licac breasted Gouldians have laid numerous eggs and are sitting.
Unfortunately, the white breasted hen hasn't laid a single egg. Her beak has darkened, she is interested in her mate and he is a proven breeder.
Why isn't she laying? Is she possibly too old? I know of another white breasted hen for sale, should I buy her or give the current hen more time? If I buy a new hen, will the male bond with her if his current mate is in the adjoining aviary?
Thanks for any advice.
Steve
Craig52

Hi Stev, for a start all those young you bred are split for WB now as the mutation is recessive so you only need one parent to pass it on.
I would wait a while yet to expect eggs from your new WB hen as she maybe a young bird in her first breeding year.
Provide plenty of calcium and fresh seeding grasses/soaked or sprouted seed for breeding stimulation. Craig
Steevee

Thanks Craig.
I hadn't considered her being young but rather assumed that she was possibly old and past breeding.
She is getting her calcium and quickly devours her daily fresh seeding grasses.
I will wait as you suggest and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks again for the advice. Steve.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mother and I set up three Gouldian avairys at the same time this season. Every avairy is at a different stage. But the avairy with the most gouldians is ahead of those with less. Could be the stimulation of more birds?
LML
LML
Steevee

Thanks finchbreeder.
Both your advice and Craig's advice were right on the money. She needed more time and I was too impatient.
When I checked the nesting box this morning the WB hen had laid her first egg :D
Thank you both for your excellent advice.
Steve

Return to “Breeding Finches”