Changing Gouldian mates during breeding season

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Krebsj

Hello everyone
I have a pair of nesting Gouldian finches the male looks to be lacking size and has a narrow build. In an adjacent holding flight I have a better male I should have used. If after the current nesting I swap the males around with the better male in the aviary and the poorer male in the holding cage ( this male would be able to be sighted by the hen, would the hen take up to the new male and hopefully breed?
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have never attempted to do this, but given that Gouldian pair bonds aren't particularly strong, it may work. Especially since it's so early in the season.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No idea, as I haven't tried it. But think of it like this. Do you want lots of chicks from an inferior bird. Or the chance of 1 round from each of 2 different cocks the 2nd of which is better?
LML
LML
garyh

I have found that even if the hen can hear the other cock bird it is very unlikely that she will pair to the new cock bird,cheers garyh
Lachlan1

I know this is late but I completely agree with garyh. I have had mixed results with swapping partners but if they are bonded and are within hearing proximity they will almost certainly not breed.
Tiaris

At this early stage of the season there is nothing to lose by trying it to see if the new pairing can click. If you have a clearly better bird to use I would definitely do it. Far better to make every attempt to breed better young than to just turn out more inferior ones - there are already far too many of them around due to unfocussed pairing choices.

Return to “Breeding Finches”