Poor fertility in Gouldians

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Krebsj

How is every one going with their Gouldians ? I have two pair all second year birds one pair laying 5 and the other pair 6 eggs but only 1 baby in each nest hatched. I put my nest boxes in on February 15 it was still hot as it would normally be at this time of year. A South Coast breeder I recall told me that he puts in his nest boxes in late February, doing so in my case may have helped if cooler weather and more time for the birds to come into condition occurred. Ant tips to improve clutch size in the next round would be appreciated.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've only got 3 young on the perch so far this year. Same day last year I was closer to 20.

The breeding season did start very late due to the hot weather, so I'm still holding out hope that results will improve once the conditions get better.

The best thing I've found to get Gouldians breeding in big numbers is seeding grasses. Especially french white millet sprays.
Tiaris

Only have 5 out so far (2,3) but have another 20 odd hatchlings in boxes + plenty on eggs.
starman

Five nest boxes occupied, two healthy looking immature chicks thrown to floor about a week ago.... but otherwise nought, nada and zilch.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mum and I decided to go into partnership this year instead of each breeding seperately. Avairy 1 has 4 pairs, 6 young from first nest out and parents back on eggs, 2nd nest 3 young out, 3rd nest 3 young in the box. Avairy 2 had 2 pairs, 1 cock died but the other pair fledged 2 chicks, 1 of which has died. Avairy 3 has two pairs and narry an egg. Avairy 4 has 2 pairs and narry an egg. Boxs and birds went in 1st 3 avairys early January. In 4th avairy late February.
LML
LML
SWRFinch

Last year I only got 5 or 6 on the purch all up out of 3 pair.This year only have 2 pair and 18 out of 18 on the purch so far.
Tiaris

SWRFinch wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 19:23 Last year I only got 5 or 6 on the purch all up out of 3 pair.This year only have 2 pair and 18 out of 18 on the purch so far.
You must have had a very early start to the season with a couple of rounds out already.
I also find in my aviaries that 2 pairs per aviary is far more productive than 3 or more.
SWRFinch

A little early maybe but so far 3 lots of 6 with the last just out..
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I find that in good years our birds do seem to go early on this side of the country, and in bad years they go late.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”