Nest boxes for my zebs

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Skinch29

Gday all, I’m only new at this so looking for advice. I’ve got myself some zebs in my new aviary 4.2mx2.4m I have added a fairly good amount of brush to one end of the aviary and have also put in some bamboo type nest baskets and also some nest boxes. The zebs were put in after I done all this. Now they seem to have settled into there new home however not one of them are building there nests in what I’ve provided??? They are all building their nests in the brush I put in. Any ideas on why they are doing this or is there some way of coaxing them into the boxes and baskets??
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let then do whatever works for them. It is not a bad thing for them to build their own nests. Just provide lots of nesting material. Zebs are pretty flexible, but like the rest of us, prone to do whatever their parents did. So maybe the birds you got were raised in parent made nests?
LML
LML
Skinch29

Ok maybe I’ll put extra brush in as well
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine are currently using a mix of brush/grass in hanging baskets and wire tubes, wooden boxes, old plastic fishing floats and small cardboard boxs. At other times they have also used plastic bait containers and hollow logs. So like I say, they are flexible. The most important thing is make sure your avairy is rodent proof. Enjoy your new feathered friends.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”