Mated but no eggs

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
cjc533

Hi all,

I have a question regarding my Gouldians that I hope someone can help with. I have breeding pair. They're bonded. Daily, my male, Ted, jumps up and down, sings and bobs his head for the female, Carole Ann. In return she bobs and shakes her head back at him and points her tail at him and wags it rapidly. I'm confident that they're bonded and like each other. They also have a nest which he spends a lot of time in. She spends a fair amount of time in there but never alone, always with him.

I've seen them mate twice now. On a perch which I know is unusual for Gouldians. Problem is, it was almost two weeks ago and I still haven't got any eggs! Anyone any ideas why this might be? They have sprouted seeds, oyster shell, charcoal, seed mix and veggies daily along with boiled egg and egg shell mixed in. They also have vitamin supplement in their drinking water and added calcium. Oh, and they also have bee pollen sprinkled lightly over their seed mix! I honestly don't know what else to do for them. Help!

Many thanks
Chris
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Chris,

Gouldians have a pretty well defined breeding season; which is right now in Australia. Unless they're completely climate controlled, I would imagine in Britain they would be about to start moulting and still months away from from being in a breeding mood.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or maybe they are not in condition even if they are in the mood. e.g. their timing is off, and they are just getting in a little "practice"
LML
LML
cjc533

Thanks all for your comments.

They are in a climate controlled aviary. I'm happy to report that (finally) the hen started laying eggs. She is currently sitting on 4 and started the incubation process yesterday. Still unsure why there was such a delay....I haven't seen that before but we learn everyday.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good to hear that all is well. Good luck for the hatching.
LML
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”