Sexing

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
NOI7

I was told that you could determine the sex of any bird with a small piece of round lead hanging from a string.
You hold the bird upside down with one hand and with the other hand hang the lead ball over the anus area of the bird.
The ball will start to move by itself. If it move in a circle, it is a female. If it moves left and right then it is a male.
Fact or fiction?
Let the dogs bark. The Lion is still the king
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like fiction to me. What would be influencing the ball in this situation?
BrettB

This old chestnut has been around for a long time.
There is no doubt it works ... 50% of the time :)

Jokes aside, some very experienced aviculturalists swear by it, but it doesn't work for me.
Perhaps I am not experienced enough !
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Craig52

I've never heard of the lead ball one but i have heard of the needle on a thread one which i think is also false. But everyone to their own if it works for them good luck.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Someone did this over my belly 34 yrs ago. And told me that I was going to have a girl. My son will be 34 next month. :lolno:
LML
Rod_L

finchbreeder wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 23:44 Someone did this over my belly 34 yrs ago. And told me that I was going to have a girl. My son will be 34 next month. :lolno:
LOL :)
BrettB wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 11:31 This old chestnut has been around for a long time.
There is no doubt it works ... 50% of the time :)
LOL :)

It's rubbish and an old wives tail. Like finding water with a stick or telling if a pregnant woman is going to have a boy or girl by how low she is carrying.

In most birds the male is bigger and has a bigger head than the females. Males usually have slightly more colour, or a different colour/ patterns to females. Males usually sing and females usually chirp.

If you have pictures of the birds, we can try to sex them for you.
death to all cats & ants

Return to “Breeding Finches”