painteds feeding chicks

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
karlisa

hi, can anyone please tell me if its normal for a male painted that is NOT the father of chicks to feed them? and next question is could he have fathered some of the chicks ? he seems well bonded to his wife and they have just finished raising their chicks when i noticed that male feeding the nestlings of a different pair.
looking forward to answers !
thanks
Rod_L

You have a really nice father bird who is feeling maternal and looking after any babies he sees. This is more common with birds that have been well domesticated like zebra finches and Bengalese finches. They are so comfortable in captivity they breed like mice and will sit on eggs and look after any babies they see. Don't worry about it and be grateful he is a devoted dad.

He probably isn't the father of the other young but he might be. But it's most likely he is just feeling maternal :)
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Rod said about a topnotch Dad who is maternal, is obviously so, and not uncommon with good parent birds who have just finished raising their own. There is a slim chance that he may also have visited the neighbours wife.
LML
karlisa

thankyou guys i am happy he's a doting father,it confused me i wasnt sure what ring colours to put on them as i run 2 pairs and use 2 ring colours so i know whos' from who.might be easier for me to run 1 pair then problem gone.these painteds really pull your heartstrings i find it hard to sell them theyre so cute and personable,they cock their little heads and look right into your eyes
Rod_L

finchbreeder wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 19:56 What Rod said about a topnotch Dad who is maternal, is obviously so, and not uncommon with good parent birds who have just finished raising their own. There is a slim chance that he may also have visited the neighbours wife.
She might be a good lookin bird :)

-----------------------
For the OP, just assume the babies are from their respective parents and he is not a naughty boy who had a fling with his neighbour :)
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mostly they do not stray. But there is the occassional neighbourhood scandal. My pair are looking like they intend to give me new year babies, so i hope to join you in the good news dept.
LML
karlisa

did you end up with any young finchbreeder ?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No. They picked a spot about 20cms from the metal roof of the avairy, where I could not reach or see too well. Then we had a run of 40+ days. I think the eggs cooked.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”