Can you mix bird species in an aviary?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
andrew114

My grandma breeds finches and has started to run out of cages to put each individual couple in, so my grandpa and I will be building her an aviary for Christmas.

She had an aviary like 15 years ago, but due to come construction workers hitting the main gas line in the middle of the winter they all passed away. She quit breeding until recently and the aviary was torn down.

Now were making her a new one that's bigger and better, but one issue is her two budgies. It would be awesome if they could share the aviary with the finches. I doubt any bird would say no to extra space to fly around, but could the two birds cohabit?
Sarkari job
Last edited by andrew114 on 14 May 2021, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi andrew, it depends on the species. Have a look at this chart to get a general idea of what can be housed with what: http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/compatible_species.php
Gympie birds

Parrots can be mixed with finches but watch for aggression. Little lorikeets( purple crowned, musk and little lorikeet) , Scarlett chested , Turkish parrots, Burke’s parrot can mix , plum headed parrots, king parrots. I would also watch for size as if they get frightened they could collide with finches and cause injury. Always watch for aggression in parrots and have a place to move them if they attack or try to attack smaller birds. Budgies have been known to be aggresssive I have heard of bush budgies been less aggressive in an avairy setting. Another good source of info is finches in Australia by Harry doven, can get from ABK publications / Birdkeeper and it states what to mix finch wise and how many pairs per avairy. Hope it helps kind regards Gympie birds
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I breed finches, my Mother breeds budgies. We would never mix the two if we had the choice. But birds are like people some do all the right things and some don't. I would build 2 aviaries if I was you. Good on you and your Grandpa for doing this for your Grandma.
LML
Rod_L

As a general rule, don't mix hooked billed birds (parrots) with pointy bill birds (finches).

Budgies should not be kept with finches or canaries.

Neophemas are fine with finches but some fly around at dusk and disturb the finches.
death to all cats & ants

Return to “Breeding Finches”