Nesting problem

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
These 2 Finches

I have a pair of normal grey zebra finches who are both around 4 months old, and I give them coconut fiber twine and cotten for nesting material and a hollowed out coconut shell for a nest, but they just put it into their nest and throw it out into their bath tub the next day. They like their nest but they seem to not like the nesting material. Any suggestions?
From the 2 Finches
Daisy and Tangerine
Brisbane_Finches_333

Maybe try buying them a nest box or cane nest to nest in, the coconut shells are not made for nesting.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Stu

I have witnessed birds placing nesting material in their water, why I don't know.
I kept Zebra finches years ago and they were never picky with nesting material using almost anything.
I did try coconut fiber a few years ago to line some timber nest boxes which the birds attempted to remove.
Make some dry grasses available to them instead.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would not be using the materials you are. Reason? Several years back I thought nice fine natural materials = excellent nesting materials. So in went my fine fair hair. Birds circulation cut off by materials you have trouble removing. Now I only use mixed grasses for nesting materials and my Zebs love it and make nests with enthusiasm. Some of my Zebs also like to soak their nesting material in the water bowl to make it more pliable. Like you I tried coconut shell halves for nesting but found them unsuitable as they are too slippery. I now use a wide mix of recepticles. Hanging baskets, wooden boxs, cardboard tubes from inside carpet rolls, old fishing floats, small hollow logs. They all work.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”