Pied orange brested waxbills

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Gympie birds

Someone I know is breeding pied orangewaxbills. What would I get if I breed a pied hen with a normal male ? Also is pied dominate or recessive ? Also are they hard to get normally is it a rare mutation ? Thanks Gympie birds
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think pied is recessive in OB's.
LML
Gympie birds

Thanks for the reply
noah.till

I’ve got a pied cock with a normal hen, getting on a bit with age now but in 2019 I bred 4 hens, 3 which turned out pied. I found with mine for some reason acquire the pied after a couple months. I originally bought two pair of what appeared to be normals, after 3 months the cocks developed pied feathers all over the front of the head and nape. I cut down a lot of my more common species to make room for rarer ones so I got rid of one pair and put the other in a suspended aviary with a pair of Bourkes and yellow siskins
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Gympie birds

Thanks Noah, that is really interesting that they take a while to gain the pied colour I did not know this. Also I am a author with bird keeper. I find it great that you won the 2018 young Birdkeeper award. You should write again as you have a lot of knowledge to share. I wrote about cut throats in the April may 2020 and transporting birds in the June / July 2020. My name is nathaniel coen.
Gympie birds

Hey Noah,
Have u breed strawberry finches ?
noah.till

G’day Nathaniel
I wrote an article earlier on in the year as well about my experiences with the black rumped double bars, and I just submitted another one last week (no spoilers!)
I have thoroughly enjoyed your articles mate, especially the cutthroat one, very underrated species and very well written. Keep up the great work, I’m looking forward to upcoming articles! Once I crack my Aberdeens I’ll add them to an article too!

I haven’t managed to quite crack strawberries yet unfortunately, I got a pair a 2 years ago but unfortunately had multiple problems of egg binding with the hen and she could never lay an egg properly (problems with the formation of her ovaries I presume). I had a couple days of -2 mornings and unfortunately she got egg bound once again and didn’t pull through, but I’ve got a mate who’s going to save me 2 pair to start again if I’ve got enough room once I sort out my red faced pytillias!
Gympie birds

I have two pair strawberry finches had chicks but they died due to cold. However I have had now the two pairs I have going to nest and in possible eggs. I have heard it is best to have multiple pairs of strawberry finches as they breed best as a small colony. My nest material mix is emu feathers cut up , white feathers, November grass / swamp grass and native grasses such as kangaroo or wallaby grass. Mine nest in wire cylinders. I did read your double bar article it was really well written and it nearly made me make room for them in my aviaries. I have a painted firetail article coming up. They are one of my top favourite finches.
noah.till

You should be able to breed the Strawbs with keeping two pairs together and with the nesting material etc. Strawbs absolutely love red pannicum, put out a seperate dish of straight red pannicum mixed with ‘The good oil’ and they go crazy over it and you definitely will have success with extra pannicum.
Looking forward to seeing your next article, I’ve always wanted painteds but haven’t had the room with all my other project species! Might be lucky enough to have our articles in the same magazine
Craig52

Well done you two with ABK articles, i started off writing particular finch articles many years ago in Australian Aviculture and Qld Finch News magazines. It's self rewarding and your name gets out there for years to come.
I've just been informed there's an article coming out in ABK with my name in it regarding fly cages, selling cages, carry boxes and winnowers of which i used to make.
Bit of topic but we can start another topic if you want. Craig

Return to “Breeding Finches”