Finch Trends and Status in Australia

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
lestra

Having only just gotten back into finches after a 16yr break I am not confident to be involved in this yet but love the idea.
We were building a large aviary to house mixed finches and had been contemplating taking on more rescue/unwanted/retired birds but now I want to help declining finches.
So I guess I had better re plan my yard to include a second aviary for a breed from the At Risk group (not confident enough for the endangered yet. From the At Risk list does anyone know the Qld adverage price of pairs, and which ones are the most at risk?
We don't start the work on the yard until late June and will hopefully have aviaries completed by Sep/Oct, I won't be looking at the birds yet but need to fully plan as I don't want to have to redo anything.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I too am aiming at most at risk...I have the pure normal RFPF (bought a trio $100)...after same in Java Sparrows and probably Cutthroats as well..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
elferoz777

I am planning to target the Eurasian Linnet.

I miss hearing these birds from when I lived in Spain.

I would hate to think my son could miss out on hearing ans seeing them here...
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Painted4

Does anyone have a current list of finches that are endangered to Australian aviculture? And a list of Finches that are under threat?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't, but think you can safely say the birds in the above couple of posts are still valid.
LML
LML
Painted4

Are Cutthroats though? I bought my pair for $30, and every sale i've been to has had a reasonable amount of Cutthroats for sale.
Craig52

Painted4 wrote:Are Cutthroats though? I bought my pair for $30, and every sale i've been to has had a reasonable amount of Cutthroats for sale.
No Cutthroats aren't but their relatives Aberdeens (Redheaded Finch) are. Craig
Painted4

Alright, thanks....Java?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Painted4 wrote:Alright, thanks....Java?
normals are...I have been searching for a few years....think I have finally found some..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Painted4

Thats true, every bird these days has that little white patch under its beak, my brother has loads of pied, fawn, and as close to normals as he can get at the moment.....also some that seem to be pied fawns? is this a proper mutation?

Return to “Breeding Finches”