Moving my Canaries

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
djb78

Hi Brett candling eggs can be done from the five day mark after incubation starts- after last egg is laid, I generally di this around the 7-10 day mark, some breeders even do this at the 13 day mark which is a couple of days before hatching, I don't do this to all my canaries all the time but I will check all my young pairs for the first year and some of my older pairs just to see how many infertile eggs they are producing.

Bensosan I would put in a few nest pans as this is general what they prefer to nest in but they can at times choose to build in brush. Placing of nest pans should he between waist to roof height as they like a variety of heights so I would look at maybe 3-4 nest placed at different heights.
Danny
BENSONSAN

Thanks djb gonna grab me some pans!
Canary

Brett

Don't panic as you will not always see them mate, which usually occurs early in the morning.

Wait until the hen has finished laying 4 eggs. As I said before it is best to take the eggs out each day and replace with dummy eggs until the 4th egg is laid. Then let the hen set for 7 days. I have a small pen torch that i put on the end of the eggs, and you will be able to tell immediately when you see the difference. An infertile egg is clear and you can see the yolk. In a fertile egg it looks dark, and is full of chick.

If the eggs aren't fertile, then take the nest out and wait 7 days before putting the nest back in empty and let the hen build another nest.
Harvey11

My Canary did not lay another egg today looks like she has stopped at 2 eggs for this clutch is this ok.

Harv
Canary

Just wait and see tomorrow. Don't annoy the hen early in the morning until about 8am.

I would say that most hens usually lay between 3 and 5 eggs. The only other thing to check is that the cock is not eating the eggs, which sometimes happens. If he is you would see a sticky mess in the nest.

If she sits on 2 eggs that is not a problem, but I would be checking them in 7 days to see if they are clear or fertile.
djb78

Here is a picture of a hen in a nest with a picture of her mate, they seem to really be enjoying the aviery, took me 1 month to pair these two up, after two years of breeding them they have turned out to be sensational breeders for me.
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg
Now here is a pair of first year young, only been breed as of Jan and hen was from Feb. Cock is white while hen is grey and white.
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg
For first years breeders I always breed in cabinets, this allows me to see compatibility of a pair and when next season comes pairs always look for their partner, I have had 3 pair breeding in the same flight with very little problems as all my pairs once bonded always breed with their mate. If a new partner is required then they go back to the cabinets for 1 season of breeding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Canary

Harvey

How many eggs did your hen end up laying?
Harvey11

3 and she is now sitting tight on them.

Harv
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have had canarys with very different idea about nest preference. Currently using a mix of nests made by them in bush and empty tins, well lined with grass and feathers. But some years they seem to prefer boxs just like budgies. I never candle my eggs, but that is just because I prefer to let them sit the time out rather than have them lay again sooner and over work their bodies. Yes they can do it, but I think it weakens them.
LML
LML
Daryl

Hi

I see that Winter Grass has been suggested as a feed for Canaries can anyone post a pic as im not sure what it looks like

Daryl 8-)

Return to “Breeding Finches”