Strange Nail

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
CathyCraftz

I just noticed that my pied zebra hen's back toe's nail on the left foot is a bit weird. It has grown higher than my normal grey hen's nail in the same place, but the pied hen doesn't seen too troubled about it. Should I leave it as it is or bring her to the vet?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
gomer

I suggest taking a photo some one maybe able to see what weird is ? Also good books like everybird by Pat MacWhirter are going to save you are fortune at the vets. You may get some enjoyment reading about all the ailments in this book.It may just need a simple trim.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Rod_L

How long is the nail? Really long nails can cause the toe to sit up a bit more looking weird, but it is simply the nail causing the toe to sit funny.
death to all cats & ants
CathyCraftz

The nail is just normal length. Should I replace the perches with sticks so I don't have to clip their nails?
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
gomer

CathyCraftz wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 17:06 The nail is just normal length. Should I replace the perches with sticks so I don't have to clip their nails?
Why is it weird but "higher in the same place"? Maybe we need a photo of your bird and setup to help you. If its normal length why do you need to change the perches so you dont need to clip the nails ? Sorry I cant understand what you need help with with out photos.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

I have to agree Cathy, we need pics please so we can understand what you are talking about. Craig
Rod_L

Different diameter perches don't just help with nails. When the birds grab different diameter perches their feet open and close different amounts. This is better for their feet. If all the perches are smooth and the same diameter, the bird's feet don't exercise as much and in the long run they can have a few more problems.

Perches should also be smooth and rough. If you have gum tree (or other non toxic plants) branches the bark helps with nails and the birds can peck at the bark.
death to all cats & ants

Return to “Finch Health”