Sick yellow body star.

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Gympie birds

Hi everyone, I have a possible sick yellow body star finch male. He is fluffed up a little more than the other Finches. I also noticed he is sleeping more. He is eating and drinking and two days ago he was treated with moxi plus bird wormer. He is also sneezing by the looks he was sitting on the perch and making a sneeze noise. Is it coccidous ? Apologies if I spelt it wrong. The breeder I got him from had treated him for coccidous as he had a outbreak. I also lost a male star 6 months ago from this as I treated the whole flock to stop it but not in time for the other male. Could I please have some advice of the possibility of this disease. Thanks for your time kind regards Gympie birds
Gympie birds

I saw him he was also stretching with beak open making no noise . He is still fluffed up. Does anyone have any ideas about what’s wrong with the bird?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The symptoms sound a bit like air sac mite. Though I have not previously heard of this being a problem with Stars. Have found that Ivomectin works on Canaries and Gouldians with air sac mite. So I would hazzard a guess that moxi would also work. Maybe he had a problem and the treatment has made it show up?? Hopefully someone else can confirm or refuse my guess/suggestion.
LML
Gympie birds

Thanks for your suggestion. I think now that you mentioned it could be air sac mite as I have canaries in the avairy as well. Moxi plus should treat it I saw him this avo after work and he looks a little better maybe it takes time to work in the body. Thanks for your time kind regards Gympie birds
Craig52

If you have treated all your birds like i suggested for scaley mite it will also treat airsac mite. But you also need to spray your aviary top to bottom including perches, nest boxes, brush and even your birds with coopex.
Rod_L

The bird could have a cold if it is outdoors and there has been a drop in overnight temperatures.

I would move it indoors and keep it warm and humid for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If there's no improvement after a few days inside, then contact a bird vet.
death to all cats & ants
Gympie birds

Thanks for the reply I have sprayed the avairy for mites with vetafarm insect growth regulator. I am also treating with coccivet just in case. I will bring the bird inside a f there is no improvement after coccivet treatment.

Return to “Finch Health”