In the medicine cabinet?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
spanna

As my collection grows and becomes a little more valuable with each purchase, I become more and more stringent with my quarantine, and have been wondering what medications people have as standard hiding in the bar fridge :lol:
(only interested in the ones proven on finches though, don't want to know everyone's ailments!! :lol: )

The things usually in my fridge as standard are moxidectin plus, some polyaid plus (similar to spark) and some mineral supplements I sprinkle on the soaked seed every other day, have been fortunate in not needing any more than this to get by until now.

My aviaries have natural earth floors (black sand, drains well, with a bit of eucalyptus mulch thrown in for the quails to scratch in), are planted and plenty of insects move in from the outside, plus mealworms and maggots fed daily.

What recommendations would people have for other things I should look at? I don't (or at most probably once yearly) carry out preventative wormings etc on my flock, only treating new birds, so can't justify spending hundreds of dollars, but I wish to get the best practices up now, ready for future acquisitions and large aviary management.

Cheers
Luke
Craig52

G'day Spanna,...all of the above plus Baycox,Doxycycline,Betadeine, passwells finch softfood in sealed container(buy in bulk it's cheaper) carrots for mealworms,codliver oil,excess maggots in dry bran(no lid) Soluminavit. You may have to get a fridge/freezer for bulk freezing sprouted seed,i do six months supply with soft food already in it,saves a lot effort. last but not least, a six pack :thumbup: Craig
spanna

:thumbup: Good on ya crocknshas, thanks for the reply.
Already have a fridge freezer in the bird shed, plenty of green seed was in it at the end of last winter, but it's all gone now, so need to pick even more this year! I do a couple of weeks worth of soaked seed at a time. Got plenty of time to spend with the birds at the moment so don't do up more than that. Maggots usually take up most of the fridge, in dry bran, uncovered, as you say. Will be making some finch cake (soon, baking is a chore :lol: ) rather than buying softfood and freezing that, but will look at getting some baycox and doxycycline if at all possible soon. Have betadeine already too.

Cheers
Tiaris

Bird fridge contents: Wormers ( Equimax, Cydectin+,Avitrol+ & Ivermectin), Baycox, Spark, Seed oils, Liquid supplements & disinfectants, Carrots, Leb Cucumbers, Mealworms, Termites & at least one six pack.
spanna

So far all my booze is inside, but apparently to be a decent fincho I need to move some of it outside to the shed fridge :lol:

Thanks for that Tiaris, sounds good to me. Off to the shop!
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I must be a crappy fincho then , I only have a can of vb in the bird fridge and I use that to poison mice.....pete
spanna

That's about all VB is good for!!! :lol:
MadOzzie

I am thinking that this (the Finch Keeper's Medicine Cabinet) should be a topic heading with a few comments about the symptoms and the application under each item by one of our qualified or very experienced people.

It actually sounds like it could be a book.

MadOzzie
BluJay

Would be an idea. However, feel a medicine cabinet should be what each persons vet, recommends to be in it. But I have seen many a vet, trained by lay people!
BluJay

Very good thread. Thanks for all the info and tips. Regards.

Return to “Finch Health”