In quarantine

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Diane

The firefinch I got yesterday has been kept inside away from my avairy since bringing her home.

She comes from the same breeder I got my gouldians from.

How long should a bird be kept in quarantine? I have heard/read many different theories from never quarantine to 40 days

Also can a quarantine cage also be a hospital cage. My first thought was no, but cross contamination could occur even if you have 2 seperate cages (bought bird in quarantine cage becoming sick)
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I try and stick to 30 days for quarantine with any new birds I purchase.
have made exceptions to this though, a few have been around 2 weeks. but in those instances I knew the breeder that the birds were being purchased from and had visited his/her aviaries on more than one occasion.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Page0044

I would go along with Mick on this one, that way you will know the bird is safe to go into the aviary
Cheers
Greg
Diane

Thanks guys
Think I will let the fire finch in the avairy after 2 weeks if everything looks good as she was bred by the same guy as bred most of my gouldians.

:?: Do you do anything to the bird while in quarantine? Mite sprays, worming, antibiotics. Having been looking around at different sites and sometimes they give the birds a list of medications as long as your arm!

:?: Can a quarantine cage also be a hospital cage. My first thought was no, but cross contamination could occur even if you have 2 seperate cages (e.g. bought bird in quarantine cage becoming sick) so now Im not too sure.....I guess having another cage for sick birds (hopefully never used) is never a bad idea.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the main thing for me with any bird in quarantine is to watch it and see how it is coping, is it eating & drinking, fluffed up or normal that type of stuff. after a couple of days I will worm the bird but that is the only thing I do to it.
during it's time in quarantine my aim also is to get the new bird accustomed to its new diet, new seed mix to what it used to have and gradually introduce it to the other food that is available in the aviary.

my quarantine and hospital cages are seperate
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.

Return to “Finch Health”