swollen feet

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
ulysises

Hi,I have had quite a few finches get a swollen foot,it eventually turns black& the bird dies,anyone else had this problem or can offer any suggestions?
CathyCraftz

Sounds like a case of bumble foot or infection.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
gomer

ulysises would already know this but for any new finchos reading this. A few days ago my daughter asked me to look at her canary as it had been picking at it foot. I bought it at a bird sale for her last year as a young bird. It had a leg ring on it that was to small most likely a finch one embeded into its leg. Luckily it looks like it will keep its leg but it could well have been a situation as above.

Another for newies reading this but loose legrings aswell get foreign object stuck behind them can cause legs to swell up and fall off.

Avian pox , Im not sure how common that is if your in a area with mosquito's. Is transferred from bird to bird once in the aviary effects the feet but also around the eyes. ( suggestion)
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Rod_L

Make sure they don't have hair wrapped around their legs.

Lots of people put hair in the cage for birds to line their nest with and it is dangerous for the birds because the fine hairs can wrap around the bird's legs, feet or toes and stop blood flowing to the limb. The foot turns black and falls off.

If you have had a number of birds with the same problem, take them to a bird vet and get them to necropsy a body and find out what's going on.
death to all cats & ants
Craig52

My thoughts as well Rod, due to finches having scales on their legs/feet fine hair or even cotton wool can get stuck under the scales without even being seen but will slowly cut the blood flow to the area which causes them to go black and die.
What other species of birds do you have in the aviary as there may also be feet nippers in there. ??
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only had this once about 2 years ago. Could find no cause but the mozzies had been bad that winter so put it down to a mozzie bite. Make sure you do not have still water around for the mozzies to breed in. Good luck in finding and sorting the problem.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Health”