Gouldian sneezing

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
elferoz777

I am only new to goulds and having kept them for 12 months now I have decided to chuck some boxes in for them. I have only lost 1 bird in the 12 months and that bird got stuck in a fixture.

I have a newly acquired gould.

I was watching him in the quarantine cage and every now and then he seems to sneeze similar tot hat of a canary.

My others used to do it every so often but it was not a frequent thing.

could this be a reaction to something in the air? or a sign of something worse?

I did rearrange my brush and aviary which could have made some dust.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
maureen_g

I am just a beginner myself but I would be concerned it could be air sac mite. I treat all new Goulds with Avimec for Budgies which treats scaly face and air sac mite (I have been assured by the Vetafarm rep). It's a drop on the skin treatment so it's easy to use. Others might have better ideas though. I actually treat all new finches with this.
elferoz777

Thanks Maureen

I was looking for ivamec but only vets can dish that out.

i will get some of the avimec and apply to my bird.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
matcho

Elferoz,

Moxidectin Plus is the go. Got mine from the Australian Pigeon Company (Dr Colin Walker) Ordered by phone and was delivered in a couple of days. Keeps well in the fridge. Sounds like air sac mites. I use the moxi and Baycox all in one over two days then repeat 10 days later. If the bird has this condition just remember to give the quarantine cage a good scrub out as the mite gets on perches etc and wait for the next new addition. Sounds like all birds have this condition. Give them all a dose/treatment. Covers most of the parasites. Take out the water sources the night before and give the treated water over 2 days. No greens. Try and do it on clear weather days because they will go for any rainwater coming down the wire. As I said repeat 10 or so days later. 3 times a year unless your cage gets really wet floors then you need to do the Baycox thing because of Coccidiosis as required.

Good luck, sure you will get through.
elferoz777

matcho wrote:Elferoz,

Moxidectin Plus is the go. Got mine from the Australian Pigeon Company (Dr Colin Walker) Ordered by phone and was delivered in a couple of days. Keeps well in the fridge. Sounds like air sac mites. I use the moxi and Baycox all in one over two days then repeat 10 days later. If the bird has this condition just remember to give the quarantine cage a good scrub out as the mite gets on perches etc and wait for the next new addition. Sounds like all birds have this condition. Give them all a dose/treatment. Covers most of the parasites. Take out the water sources the night before and give the treated water over 2 days. No greens. Try and do it on clear weather days because they will go for any rainwater coming down the wire. As I said repeat 10 or so days later. 3 times a year unless your cage gets really wet floors then you need to do the Baycox thing because of Coccidiosis as required.

Good luck, sure you will get through.
what dose of baycox do u give and how do you give it?

I will try and get some moxidectin asap.
matcho

E,
3mls per litre for the Baycox and 5mls per litre for the Moxi Plus given in their water. As I said I give them combined and dont seem to have a problem when doing it even with chicks in the nest. Otherwise you can just treat with the Baycox when you have problems associated with Coccidiosis.
Diane

elferoz777 wrote:I will try and get some moxidectin asap.
http://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewtop ... 00&t=14200
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
elferoz777

Thanks for the advice.

I have got some on order from the melbourne vet (moxidectin) and I have baycox already.

I will put in the drinking water this weekend

Thanks for your constructive advice
Michelle

maureen_g wrote: 21 Apr 2013, 17:27 I am just a beginner myself but I would be concerned it could be air sac mite. I treat all new Goulds with Avimec for Budgies which treats scaly face and air sac mite (I have been assured by the Vetafarm rep). It's a drop on the skin treatment so it's easy to use. Others might have better ideas though. I actually treat all new finches with this.
Hi, also a beginner here. We have a gouldian that is also sneezing/clicking. Have read in a few places about treating with avimec for budgies. Was just wondering the dosage and how long to treat for? Thanks in advance :)
Tiaris

Air sac mite. Treat with Moxydectin plus & will treat the ASM & preventative for worms simultaneously.

Return to “Finch Health”