Bengalese lump

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Jenk

Yesterday i noticed my Bengalese has developed some kind of lump or bulge on the right side of his neck throat area, he also looked fluffed up whereas the others were fine, I looked at his vent as well, yesterday it was fine but today it looks dirty, he has been eating a lot too, does anyone recognise these symptoms, can explain what it might be? I'm worried because he has young in the nest and not sure if he could pass this on.

Should I try antibiotics and if so if I add the antibiotic to the water will this harm the healthy birds?
Jenk
Aussie_Bengo

Hi,
The Bulge in its neck could just be a full crop, that is not necessarily an issue. I have had some that have been described by friends as having a "dropped crop".

I'm not a vet but thought I'd mention that for your knowledge.

Regards
Jenk

Aussie_Bengo wrote:Hi,
The Bulge in its neck could just be a full crop, that is not necessarily an issue. I have had some that have been described by friends as having a "dropped crop".

I'm not a vet but thought I'd mention that for your knowledge.

Regards
I considered it could be a full crop too. I'm sure he's had a full crop before so why all of a sudden? What about his dirty vent surely it's not coincidence?

What's a dropped crop what causes it?
Jenk
Aussie_Bengo

I'm not someone to give advice about bird illness as such and I'd rather others that are more qualified to chime in here.
However I don't think a dropped crop it is a disease or ailment as such but rather than a physical condition as part of the birds genetic features. My point to raise is that a full (or bulging) crop is not necessarily associated with any apparent softness.
Last edited by Aussie_Bengo on 13 May 2014, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
Craig52

I agree with AB,if not a full crop to feed its young it could be a compacted crop,to much of some thing to feed its young.Are you feeding cuttle bone and grit,sometimes they over feed on one or the other to get it into the young especially cuttle bone to get calcium into them.Plenty of greens can help at this time. Craig
Jenk

Craig52 wrote:I agree with AB,if not a full crop to feed its young it could be a compacted crop,to much of some thing to feed its young.Are you feeding cuttle bone and grit,sometimes they over feed on one or the other to get it into the young especially cuttle bone to get calcium into them.Plenty of greens can help at this time. Craig

Hi Craig,

Yes I'm feeding cuttle bone, grit and greens as well, he does seem to be eating more than usual... but what about the dirty vent?
Jenk
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Again, not a vet. But a dirty vent can be as simple as overdoing the greens to a major problem. Spark in the water would not hurt.
LML
LML
Jenk

Ok thanks FB
Jenk
Myzomela

Have you checked his body condition Jenk? His he thin?
I agree that a noticeably swollen crop and dirty vent could point to a gastrointestinal problem but it can be caused by several different things all of which need different treatments.
Can you post any photos? Does the bird's breath smell at all?
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Jenk

Myzomela wrote:Have you checked his body condition Jenk? His he thin?
I agree that a noticeably swollen crop and dirty vent could point to a gastrointestinal problem but it can be caused by several different things all of which need different treatments.
Can you post any photos? Does the bird's breath smell at all?

Hi Myzomela,

His body condition is fine he is not thin at all! Actually he is perfectly normal from what I can see the dirty vent is no more it turned out it wasn't a dirty vent at all just a bit of poop stuck to his backside from sitting in the nest with his young.

Cheers
Jenk

Return to “Finch Health”