Eye problem on Gouldian

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Diater

Hi. New to finches. Have had 8 gouldians for a couple of months and have one sick with a sore lookin eye. Keeps it closed and has a watery appearance with feathers around it looking affected. Pet shop suggested some sulphonamide water medicant saying it was some sort of a cold. Anyone help. Thanks
Myzomela

It would be a conjunctivitis probably related to an upper respiratory infection. There are several different bacteria that could be involved. Personally I would use one of the tetracyclines first but if you have already bought the sulpha drug then see how you go. You can also bathe the eye with some saline as used for flushing human eyes. These you can get from the chemist.
Good luck Diater.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Diater

Thanks for that. Eye seems to have dried up so will try bathing it . He is eating, drinking and active . Have him isolated so might bathe for a couple of days and put him back in if all is ok.
kimberley breeder

I would get a hold of some antibiotics. Runny swollen eyes can mean a sinus/ upper resp infection. I have had good success with Psittavet and Doxy. You will need to get from a vet though
Diater

Thanks for that. Seems to be ok now but will keep it in mind if it re-occurs or come across anything else like it

Return to “Finch Health”