Fawn Hecks death

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Painted4

So I went out today and found my Fawn Hecks longtail dead on the floor...There was a build up of feces, I was thinking egg bound...but would there be feces if she was egg bound? Also not 100% sure on the sex, so again, eggbinding is just a guess at this stage, any help would be appreciated.
TomDeGraaff

Now is a dangerous time going into the cold weather. Sudden temperature drops and wetness all around. Maybe your bird had a form of enteritis or other dampness-related bug.
Have you had recent cold snaps or wet weather?
In dreary old wintery Melbourne, we have had some wet weather. I have my birds on a course of coccidia medication. (Coccivet, Baycox)
Drafts and damp are enemies. They would cause your bird's symptoms, I think.
Hope things improve.
Tom
Painted4

Hmm, it has been rather cold and rainy here too. Now my Yellow star hen isn't looking good (different aviary) i'm hoping she picks up tomorrow. Trying to find some plastic blinds or something I can make into blinds to try and keep out the cold a bit more...its harder than I thought to find anything though :problem:
Diane

Bunnings do a range of canvas blinds (although might be a bit difficult to get at the moment, wrong season) but they also do rolls of plastic of varying thickness you can buy by the metre, not very wide though.

Another thing that would work, have seen it on an aviary, is U channel (the fence topping type) at the top and bottom of the area you want to cover and clear roofing sheets slide in the channel.
I was told that at the time (2010) Softwoods was cheaper than Bunnings for the plastic roofing sheets.
I like this idea myself as it would stop the flapping about you get with blinds.

Hopefully someone else with a similar style winter protection will post some pics.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Painted4

Softwoods is a bit far to go at the moment, might just have to have a visit to bunnings and see what they have, although last time I couldn't find any plastic at all, and they'd sold out of Suntuf.
matcho

Painted 4,

I have a setup which consists of cut to size perspex panels (easily removed for daily feeding) and suntuf roofing with shadecloth which gives me a draft free and dry aviary. It also faces north which enables it to warm up fairly quickly in the morning through the perspex during the cooler months. I usually remove them completely during the warmer months as they will turn your set up into an oven. Also have the bonus of it being protected from the south winds by being against a brick wall. It is not cheap but works really well.

I am just charging up the camera to get some shots for you, they will be self explanatory in regards to removal and replacement. I use the plastic flyscreen toggles to secure them in place. As I said it is not cheap and would depend on the size of your setup.

Ken.
Painted4

That sounds like a pretty good idea, I look forward to the photos :thumbup:
matcho

Painted 4
Photos as promised.

1,2 and 3 show aviary with screens up and overhanging suntuf roof. 4 shows one of the screens off for feeding through rotating feeders. Takes 10 seconds (if that) to remove, replace. 5 shows the flyscreen clips, 6,7 and 8 show how they work. 10 shows small holding aviary using same principle. There are 8 panels, six on the front (upper and lower) and 2 on the western side. All are individually cut as they are all different sizes because of the way it was constructed into 3 separate bays with different heights of supporting braces. No need for any on the eastern end as entry is through the shed (which doubles as safety door.) Sheets are 3mm thick.

Ken
SDC13816.JPG
SDC13817.JPG
SDC13821.JPG
SDC13819.JPG
SDC13826.JPG
SDC13828.JPG
SDC13818.JPG
SDC13830.JPG
SDC13832.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would be keeping an eye on the star then.... maybe as above treat flock with Baycox as a precaution?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Painted4

THey look great, I like how easy they seem to be to remove too. I don't know if i'll have enough money to do it though, perspex isn't cheap, is it?

Return to “Finch Health”