Sick masked finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
iaos

Hi Sam, yes possibly the best outcome. The chances of breeding success with the bird mat not have been high.

Cheers Ian
iaos

I got the results of the necropsy.

Abnormalities noted was the liver was moderately pale with yellow staining on the surface and the contents of the gallbladder was a transparent bright yolk colour.

Samples have been sent to Taronga for histopathology.

Cheers Ian
Trilobite

Gday Ian, I had similar issues with WEM's last year despite the normal quarantine period etc and a few periods in the hospital cage. The wet/dirty vent is the most critical aspect here IMHO. I would suggest that you speak to your vet about yeast/candida infections and treatment thereof moreso then the cocci. I used the treatment prescribed for my birds and it worked a dream - alternatively without veterinarian intervention you could try nilstat at 3ml/l in the first instance if you have a sick bird again - but buyer beware you are just stabbing in the dark without a bit of good vet advice - go to an avian vet rather then a generic vet. I am going out on a limb here and suggest that the vet should indicate if the cocci was just present or very heavy infestation. I tend to think that most birds carry a low level persistent population of cocci and when stressed other things go out of balance and take over. If the cocci was only just present in the masks then I would put my money on candida infection - this observation is based solely on my parallel experience.
Cheers
Trilobite
iaos

Hi Trilobite,

Thanks for your comments. The vet I am seeing is an avian vet.

The cocci was decribed as "moderate-marked bacterial overgrowth (cocci)".

I will certainly take your comments on board.

Cheers Ian
Myzomela

I think there is some confusion here.

The cocci that Ian's report suggested describes the cshape of the bacteria- cocci are small, spherical bacteria. Within the cocci are bacteria such as Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Micrococcus Enterococcus etc. This is pronounced "Cockii".

The "cocci" that Trilobite is talking about are "Coccidia", which are often called Cocci (pronounced "coxi") for short. These are a protozoan parasite.

I agree with Trilobite's comments about yeast infections being common in WE Masks that I nave necropsied- and also in other species, but the histopathology report from Taronga should confirm or deny this.

Cheers

Myzo
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Trilobite

Thank god for the educated ones among us - my bad I was referring to coccidia protozoans when using the contraction "cocci", not the bacteria. Thanks Myzo for the pickup and clarification. :thumbup:
Cheers
Trilobite
Spitfire

Taking a leaf from one of the Classics, he shouts, "HOW MUCH WILL ALL THIS COST." Visits to the Vet, reports from the vet and Reports from Toronga zoo??
I think it might be cheaper to buy another Mask.
iaos

Spitfire wrote:Taking a leaf from one of the Classics, he shouts, "HOW MUCH WILL ALL THIS COST." Visits to the Vet, reports from the vet and Reports from Toronga zoo??
Yes it would be cheaper. My vet kindly did the necropsy free of charge. I'm not sure I could have justified the total cost otherwise.

I'd like to think I can learn from having a bird die in my care, my husbandry can improve and the rest of my flock can benefit.

Cheers Ian
Craig52

iaos wrote:
Spitfire wrote:Taking a leaf from one of the Classics, he shouts, "HOW MUCH WILL ALL THIS COST." Visits to the Vet, reports from the vet and Reports from Toronga zoo??
Yes it would be cheaper. My vet kindly did the necropsy free of charge. I'm not sure I could have justified the total cost otherwise.

I'd like to think I can learn from having a bird die in my care, my husbandry can improve and the rest of my flock can benefit.

Cheers Ian
:clap: :clap: :thumbup: Craig
Trilobite

Good on you Ian, using science to gain a better understanding of your total flock management is a smart thing to do and in the long run most likely cheapest when you tally up the cost associated with blindly stabbing in the dark and using all manner of treatments in an ad hoc fashion (not to mention possible resistance build up and potential toxicity and stress to the birds) and then still being faced with stock loss not only of that species but other birds in your aviary. I am not saying jump to a vet each time the bird sneezes but trying to understand the reasons behind the issues is just plain smart. :clap:
Cheers
Trilobite

Return to “Finch Health”