Breeding Maggots

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
TomDeGraaff

garymc wrote: I personally put in a fair bit of effort trying to produce clean maggots, but if adding the Virkon S to the process eliminates the need to "clean" out the maggots because it destroys all the potential nasties then surely this must be an additional step forward in the evolution of maggot breeding.
My concern there, Gary is the continual use of such antiviral/antibacterial/antifungal compounds adds to the chances of developing resistant strains of the bugs we ar trying to eliminate. This applies to soaking seed as well.

Perhaps a survey of auroras testing for candida would answer that worry of yours. Unfortunately, it takes money for such research even though it's a simple process. Money well spent, however to learn more about the problem. Couldn't termites can these bugs too?
Cheers
Tom
Craig52

Uraeginthus wrote:
garymc wrote: I personally put in a fair bit of effort trying to produce clean maggots, but if adding the Virkon S to the process eliminates the need to "clean" out the maggots because it destroys all the potential nasties then surely this must be an additional step forward in the evolution of maggot breeding.
My concern there, Gary is the continual use of such antiviral/antibacterial/antifungal compounds adds to the chances of developing resistant strains of the bugs we ar trying to eliminate. This applies to soaking seed as well.

Perhaps a survey of auroras testing for candida would answer that worry of yours. Unfortunately, it takes money for such research even though it's a simple process. Money well spent, however to learn more about the problem. Couldn't termites can these bugs too?
Cheers
Tom
"Couldn't termites carry these bugs too" Imo,yes more so than in the captive bred bush flies but only if they are fed out clean and utensils ect kept clean for bacteria concerns,hence the use of VirconS for the latter.
Termites can become the host for worm eggs,they live with a multitude of other insects in their mounds which pass them on some how imo,termites eat grass/wood so other than worm eggs being in the grass which they chew it's hard to understand how they would ingest worm eggs in any other way but they do,tape worm eggs especially.
So what i am saying is,keep all your containers clean and if you are still worried about candida,try putting a small amount of VirconS in the flies drinking water but i don't really like the idea of putting the latter in the medium growing mix for the maggots,just clean them out before feeding and don't be so inpatient or keep an older batch in the fridge in fresh dry bran where they become dormant and draw from them whilst the new batch is cleaning them selves out on the bench then rotate again when needed.
Cheers Craig
E Orix

Breeding good quality Maggots is not just having flies, medium, food and warmth other factors come into the process.
Your location has a bearing on it, Gary the climate where you live should be far more safer than Queensland because you
have far less humidity which is one reason for a possible higher yeast problem.
The more humidity and moisture the greater the chance.
I feed out nearly a plastic bucket full each day during the breeding season, they are removed from the breeding box tipped
into larger bowls some fresh medium placed on the top and the lot are fed out the next day. No cleaning nothing.
They do not smell acrid or sweet(yeast),I feed either milk powder or whey powder, sugar and water.
The main difference I see when peaking at others fly cultures is I carry far far more flies. I don't worry if I breed too many
any unwanted are disposed of easily without allowing them to fly away. Why do I have so many flies, simply they eat all the medium up
without letting it go off and sour. Why do I put the new medium on the top because the maggots rise to eat it and it will not go sour as if
on the bottom of the bowl.
I went through the years of fly blown hearts or lights and trying to clean them out of the black line, no I can't see a problem now provided your
hygiene is up to par. If you wish to take the next step of cleaning them so be it, it wouldn't do any harm and you could get piece of mind but to dose
maggots for parasites etc, each one to their own.
By the way this current fly colony I have has produced non stop now for nearly 30 years, so much for inbreeding.
Spitfire

Hi Craig,I am in the 21st century, I did say I used sheep hearts 30 years ago not now.
Now I breed my flys in a mixture of Pollard and Turkey Starter or Game bird starter. All the arguments about cleanliness and disease, I will let the experts worry about.
Where originally I came from we had migrating flocks of Pipits, Chaffinchs, Robin Redbreasts, Larks and Starlings and the local Sparrows, I as a farmers son used to clean out
the stables of Cows, Horses and chickens and dump it in a big heap out in a paddock. who do you think ate all of the Maggots direct
from out of the s...t heap????? . By the way I never did see any one bird take a maggot down to the creek and wash it before he ate it. hehehehe.
murf

Not having bred maggots, but what I have come across in the agricultural area, the proliforation of the "nasties" begins to dramatically increase above 23 degrees temperature. Is 23 degrees warm enough for the maggots?
Craig52

Hi Murf,at a constant 23 degs flies will breed but do better higher than that at around 30 degs.
E Orix, yes everyone does it differently and if it works for you and there is no noticeable problems stick with it.
Gmac, have you had problems with candida with your birds even with cleaning out your maggots?

Imo,Mike is very scientific minded person and most things that he comes up with are very good but,if you have something that is working well for you why would you want to change it just because someone does something different.What happens or who's to blame if you came out one morning and all your birds are dead on the floor by changing the way you do your maggots by using chemicals,it' not natural and i believe when the maggots are cleaned out in dry bran you could eat them yourself :wtf: Aboriginals used to eat them,it's free/extra protein :shock:

Cheers Craig
Diane

Craig52 wrote: i believe when the maggots are cleaned out in dry bran you could eat them yourself :wtf:
Cheers Craig
You first :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Craig52

Diane wrote:
Craig52 wrote: i believe when the maggots are cleaned out in dry bran you could eat them yourself :wtf:
Cheers Craig
You first :lol:
Be just like eating long grain rice Diane :D :lol: :wtf: Craig :thumbup:
SamDavis

I obviously wasn't listening during the live-food talk at Finches'14. When in the maggot production does Mike add Virkon S?

I don't do any cleaning out in bran but I do think I leave them longer than most before feeding - commonly there's a heap of pupae by the time I feed out. Also I must admit that recently I had a Masked nest fledge with a few poopy butts but I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer before blaming Craig's delicious maggots! :shock: :lolno:
Greg41

Is there any great difference in using either, Full Cream milk powder, Whey Powder or Denkavit Powder?
Not looking at price difference, I use Denkavit and a friend uses either of the other two.

Cheers Greg.
GDG

Return to “Finch Health”