Lemon in drinking water

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Spitfire

I have been told that squezeing a lemon in the birds drinking water is beneficial to their health. Can anyone confirm this, and if so How much and how often?
Is there any articles on the subject? I do know that for those that like it, a refreshing lemon drink is beneficial to the human body. I have a Meyer Lemon and it is nearly sweet enough to eat like an orange.
Craig52

I don't know about that one but apple cider vinegar is good for them. Craig
TomDeGraaff

I think the idea of apple cider vinegar is to change the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of the gut thus disrupting bacterial and fungal infections.
I suppose the lemon juice would do a similar job but it would be difficult to accurately measure the amount of acidifying agent you are dosing with.
Apple cider vinegar has a commercially constant concentration. Lemon juice might be a bit" hit and miss".

I've never quite understood how it doesn't affect the normal gut flora (if birds have such). Perhaps a probiotic is advisable (?)

Vet help please !!!
Tiaris

I think E.coli & other potentially harmful bacteria prefer an alkaline gut environment, hence the benefit of acidifying using ACV. Not sure if less harmful/beneficial bugs also prefer alkaline conditions.
Lemon juice should also slightly reduce pH & add some vitamin C. Never used it or heard of using it as bird water supplement though.
murf

I've used apple cider vinegar for years on calves. It assisted in scours and a general pick up if a calf went off it's milk. Birds I'm unsure about, but have used it occassionally without incident. I believe it's about the pH in the gut, as Uraeginthus mentioned. Some have used cottee's raspberry cordial. Certainly heard about people using this one for "bombay belly."
branchez

I give my birds apple cider vinegar once a week at a rate of 10ml per litre of water,can anyone advise if this dose is sufficient?
Jack
Canary

I give my canaries apple cider vinegar at the dose of 10ml to 1 litre for about 3 days a month in their water bottles. I have found if it is left in the bottle for 1 week that it can tend to grow a mould on the glass.

In regards to lemon juice, I had a very good hen that would lay eggs and they were always infertile. I changed the cock a number of times after each nest. After 6 nests over 2 years there were no fertile eggs. An old breeder told me to give the hen 2 drops of lemon juice to the beak before the breeding season and again just before I paired her up. He said that it would improve fertility. Didn't make any difference to my hen - still more infertile eggs.
steve

Apple Cider vinegar, how frequently should I give it? Do the birds notice it?
Niki_K

I give apple cider vinegar to my dogs (a splash in their waterbowls or a tablespoon in their food once a week)- not sure if it really does much!
Mr Tino

When I put fresh water in my avairy I put 5ml of apple cider vinegar to litre of water for my birds,also I being using that rate for number of years.

Cheer from Mr Tino :thumbup:

Return to “Finch Health”