WHAT CAN I DO?

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Spitfire

I another Post, I said I was lucky in buying 4 pairs of Diamonds that are beautiful and so far healthy.
TODAY I am in mourning over my BAD Luck, in the purchase of 2 pair of Crimson Finchs on Saturday.1 male died by Sunday morning. The seller said He'll give me another male. Ok.
1 hen died on Sunday. They were housed in an aviary okayed by the seller. I rang the seller with the bad news of the hen dying, saying that I dont need the other Cock bird.
What else would anyone else had done? The birds looked healthy enough when I released them in the aviary. First endevour into the Crimsons and I followed instructions.
A mistake that I made was that I did not Physically check the birds before release. Do I have any comeback.
Craig52

Hate to say this Guy but you took a big risk buying crimsons,or any finch and releasing in an aviary at this time of the year so no,i don't think you will have any come back on them. Craig
Lachlan1

What a shame, I'm hoping to get my first pair of Crimsons this Spring. Hopefully the remaining pair breeds for you. Good luck!
Craig52

Guy,did you put both those prs together in the one aviary ?,sorry just read your post again. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig being the expert on Crimsons he may say different...but I always release hens into the aviary first (for about 2 weeks) before releasing male...that way hen knows all the best hiding spots...thats just how I used to do it...will be getting back into them early next year... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
matcho

Spitfire,

I am going to ask you a number of questions, please don't think that I am taking the p..s out of you. I would love to buy and have crimsons but and I mean a big but they seem to me to be fragile in the southern parts of this lucky country.

1. Were these birds open aviary bred or in softer conditions? (ie fully covered with heating, etc.)
2.Did you put them into the enclosure in the morning after transport so they could find their feed source?
3.Does your enclosure have complete coverage from drafts and access to sunlight?

They are the questions, but in having seen the weather in Victoria this week I would have kept them inside considering their propensity to warmth. Dont feel bad, things happen, I have had the worst season ever with my goulds, last year 50 plus (not counting the 20 I lost through on open feeder door) this year I have 4, can you believe it?

Anyhow just giving you support,

Hope you do well

Ken.
Spitfire

Craig, not knowing anything about Crimsons, I followed the instructions supplied by the seller. He said to put the 2 pairs together in an indoor aviary inside a brick garage.
He delivered the birds himself, and he said the indoor aviary/holding aviary will be Ok till the end of August., when I can than put them in the outside aviary. He said my aviary was similar to his and he kept the young Crimsons together in an enclosed aviary. Dumb as I might be, you can only follow instrutions in good faith. What else can one do.
Craig52

vettepilot_6 wrote:Craig being the expert on Crimsons he may say different...but I always release hens into the aviary first (for about 2 weeks) before releasing male...that way hen knows all the best hiding spots...thats just how I used to do it...will be getting back into them early next year... :thumbup:
Yes and also were those crimsons housed with those diamonds in a box or cabinet at any stage before you released them in an aviary,the crimsons might have pulled the red feathers out of them. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52 wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:Craig being the expert on Crimsons he may say different...but I always release hens into the aviary first (for about 2 weeks) before releasing male...that way hen knows all the best hiding spots...thats just how I used to do it...will be getting back into them early next year... :thumbup:
Yes and also were those crimsons housed with those diamonds in a box or cabinet at any stage before you released them in an aviary,the crimsons might have pulled the red feathers out of them. Craig
That's a good point Craig... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Spitfire

Thanks matcho for your support, my answer to Craig covers all your questions, and by the way Craig adding 2 + 2 does not always make 4, of course I did not put them with the diamonds,
and I doubt in 24 hours they would have had the time to pluck them. After all Craig we are talking about Crimsons not Fighting Cockerels. HEHE.

Return to “Finch Health”